Buying used FZ6 Questions

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to be look at a 2005 FZ6 with 11,000 miles today. According to the add it was adult driven and is completely stock, except for a 42 tooth rear sprocket.

I currently own a 2009 Ninja 650r and had a 250r, so I'm not completely clueless when it comes to motorcycles.

He says he's got new tires (not mounted), and a new chain.

Is there anything special I should be watching out for when looking at this bike? Any FZ6 specific questions I should ask?

Thanks in advance for your help!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
2005 FZ6's are subject to a TPS (throttle position sensor) recall and many of them had TPS problems without having the recall done. Other than that, these are pretty rock solid bikes if taken care of and maintained.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Finally someone else riding an fz6 on the east side of Michigan. I'm 30 miles south on 75 in brownstown area.

Don't be a stranger here. You can learn pretty much anything about these bikes from this forum.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I would recommend you check the head bearing, i have read a lot of threads about people having bad head bearing.
Sometimes they seam to rust for no apparent reason.
A friend of mine bought an FZ6 without checking them, i saw it a few weeks after he bought it and tried it, it was instantly obvious the bearing were gone.

There is a rubber cap at the bottom of where the steering head mounts to the frame, check to see if it shows any sign of rust and make sure there is no play there.
On his bike the cap was full of rusty dust!

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one. welcome. After i got mine (2008) I discovered the front caliper seals need changing, but I'm not sure it's an issue for your year.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike, do check the head bearings, I replaced mine (2004) at around 10,000 or so and was very careful with packing seals etc, three years later I took it apart and it had some mild rust so cleaned and re-packed. The rust had not damaged the bearings or bearing surface.

If you replace the chain also replace the sprockets but that should be well down the road - think mine lasted 26,000 miles.

Check the timing chain tensioner - mine would last about 12 to 15,000 miles. After 39,000 miles there was a lot of stuff I did to my bike - great bike and very reliable but good to check and clean bearings etc. Withe the center stand it is so easy to work on. I didn't truly appreciate that until I bought the CBR600RR and have to use front and rear stands.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
If you know how to work on bikes you should be able to inspect bike on your own. If you worked only a little on a bikes I would recommend asking seller to get to shop of your choice for pre-purchase inspection (you will have to pay it) to get bike checked by pro mechanic.

Here is my general check list for the bikes. It should give you idea what to look for. I personally look for two things - one is clear sign of a damage, other is signs of neglected maintenance. Crosschecking it with maintenance should give you indication if guy took general care over bike.

* Paperwork
** Check VIN on title, sticker and frame
** Check Engine number on title and engine
** Check Plate number on title and plate
** Check data on registration
** Check sellers drivers license data for match on title, and reg
* low side marks
* tires
** wear
** manufacture date (how old)
** pressure
** bent rims