Bushfires in Perth..........

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not good people. The winds in Perth are around 80km/h which is not helping firefighters at all.

Swan Valley has been on fire since last night - 800 Ha burnt out so far. At one stage the fire was moving around 500m per 30 seconds! Lots of good people out there. There are around 150 fire fighters there at the moment and 2 water helicopters trying to fight that one. Lots of vineyards and hobby farmers around there.

Now another one - Roleystone. 8 houses destroyed so far, rumous of around 20 in total, not confirmed yet.

These have both been deliberately lit!

IF WE CATCH YOU, BEWARE. YOU ARE SCUM.....

The Swan Valley fire is no where near us at the moment, but it is out of control and with strong winds forecast for the rest of today and tomorrow, it could easily hit us.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...perth-suburbs-20110206-1ai22.html?from=smh_sb

My heart goes out to you all.

Last edited:

ms.xentrix

Reaction score
Visit site
Been trying to get updates on this all day. I've heard that at least the swan valley fire was deliberately lit, sounds about right that on a day when they have a severe wind warning that the arsonists come out :(

I also have friends in that area so i hope they are all ok.

Just read this as well.

Smoke warning for drivers in Chittering - The West Australian

its incredibly sad to here about the people in Roleystone/kelmscott losing houses :(

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, just got news on the Chittering fire from FESA.

It's the northern end of Chittering Rd, where it meets Great Northern Highway in Chittering, not the Bullsbrook end of Chittering Rd.

It is soooo windy out here today.

There will be more fires before the day is over.......

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
35 homes lost in Roleystone/Kelmscott.

Ferndale also on fire now.

Wind is picking up - 6:45pm. Real worry for all those people.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance of them heading your way at all ?? I know there is always a chance but I mean any immediate threats ??
Not at the moment. The Chittering and Swan Valley fires are far enough away. But if they don't keep the Swan Valley one under control and hit takes over the Walyunga National Park with the high winds, it could reach us.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not at the moment. The Chittering and Swan Valley fires are far enough away. But if they don't keep the Swan Valley one under control and hit takes over the Walyunga National Park with the high winds, it could reach us.

Fingers crossed for you guys that it doesnt happen , between the flooding over here & Melb & fires over there its looking like someones got a voodoo doll out for our holiday :( :spank:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe how often you guys are getting hit with these disasters. Hope everyone stays safe and the authorities manage to get everything back into proper order.

On the other hand though, you could all immigrate to Canada. I mean, it's not super warm here right now, but ski-dooing can be fun...:canada:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fingers crossed for you guys that it doesnt happen , between the flooding over here & Melb & fires over there its looking like someones got a voodoo doll out for our holiday :( :spank:

Kazza, i am guessing you & Mike would be well prepared if the worst happened, and it did get close to you guys!

Get the bikes on the trailer!

I hope they catch the arsonists, and string the bastards up by their balls!

As for Humpy's comment....Hmmm, dont tempt mother nature, she is pretty freaking pissed off right now...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Well this just sucks! I figured my son was safe in Perth on the other side on the country away from the floods and storms. Fire is our big threat during the summer and fall so I know all to well how rough it can get on windy days. You just have to be ready to go if need be.
Prayers to all in harms way. Oh and for the scum lighting the fires?- Get a rope and string em' up!

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kazza, i am guessing you & Mike would be well prepared if the worst happened, and it did get close to you guys!

Get the bikes on the trailer!

I hope they catch the arsonists, and string the bastards up by their balls!

As for Humpy's comment....Hmmm, dont tempt mother nature, she is pretty freaking pissed off right now...
LOL, don't worry about that....

If it got to us, dogs in car, box of paperwork in car, helmets and riding gear, then Mike would load the bikes on the trailer and take with the 2nd car.

We have a bushfire plan - GET OUT.

We are insured. Not worth risking our lives for "things".

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Our hearts and thoughts go out to you all in harms way. You know we know what big fires are about here in SoCal. I've seen the sun blotted out where the sky was just a deep orange color in the arvo. Been sick from the smoke...Be safe!

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the guys I work with lives dead bang in the middle of the Swan Valley fire. I hope he is ok.

41 homes now lost with 60 damaged possibly lost. 1 fireman injured and 12 people hospitalised with smoke inhalation.

Driving into work today - all I could see was smoke in the valley.

When we go on our 3 week trip to Tassie, I will be taking all my important papers etc over to mums place. Won't risk leaving stuff like that in the house.

I hope everyone is safe from the fires in Perth at the moment.

Fire, cyclones, flood - WTF is next Australia ..........

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the guy at my work is ok, but his house is still under threat.

The Swan Valley fire - just found out a tree branch hit a transformer.
This makes me mad - it's a Western Power problem - they caused the Toodyay fire too. They go around to our propertys telling us to cut back trees or they will fine us. But they don't bother doing their own maintenance :rant:

As for the Roleystone fire that has so far taken @ 41 homes - there is a total fire ban, and yet some idiot with an angle grinder thought it would be fine to use it in the middle of the day, in a grassed area around his house. Sparks hit the grass and now 41 homes have been lost.

I hope they throw the book at him. Total Fire Ban includes BBQs (not gas kind), machinery in paddocks or any grassed areas.

Now look at the damage done.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to hear of all the issues going on there, what a wonderful and beautiful country. My old roomate from college is spending a few months in Sydney, hopefully when they start touring around a little he does not run into any trouble.

stay safe and good luck with everything.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

This makes me mad - it's a Western Power problem - they caused the Toodyay fire too. They go around to our propertys telling us to cut back trees or they will fine us. But they don't bother doing their own maintenance :rant:

As for the Roleystone fire that has so far taken @ 41 homes - there is a total fire ban, and yet some idiot with an angle grinder thought it would be fine to use it in the middle of the day, in a grassed area around his house. Sparks hit the grass and now 41 homes have been lost.

I hope they throw the book at him. Total Fire Ban includes BBQs (not gas kind), machinery in paddocks or any grassed areas.

Wow this reads just like around here. Our power company was spanked real hard (BIG fines) for inadequate tree trimming and causing a forest fire here about 10 years ago.
We still have homeowner clowns who do stupid things on hot, dry, windy days. Figured we had a all of them here, sorry to read they just as bad over there too.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If the power company caused one of the fires, and that fire caused property damage to private individuals, then the power company should pay ALL damages!

As for the idiot with the Angle grinder, they should get that angle grinder of his, and get all "Medievil" on the stupid bugger!

:(

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So they weren't deliberately lit? That's kind of good news in a way. It doesn't help the victims, and animals, but it does mean there isn't too likely to be a spate of them....phew. Hope everything goes well for you guys.