Bumps without wiggles

eddiekay

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody have any ideas: FZ has performed flawlessly but recently noticed:
Smooth level road...air in tires that are not worn.
Begine to feel and hear what I can only describe as a slap slap slap sound running at 85+....almost fels as if i'm running over smalll expansion joints. Feeling and sound are quick, sharp, well defined. Gets noticeably louder with speed till I backed off at 110......noise then fades until gone around 85.
Absolutely no wobble and while you can feel it in bars I could not see the forks compressing at all.....it was almost like running over those 'wake up" strips at the side of the road.
Anybody else run into anything like this ?

Are you sure that your tires are not cupped? What you're describing sounds almost exactly like uneven tire wear (possibly due to suspension problems)

I know your tires may not be worn. How old are they?
Proper tire pressure is 33psi. front and 36psi. back on the FZ6 if your heavier or with a pillion that will pressure will go up. Check your front wheel and make sure all is tight. Check axle and pinch bolts. Make sure calipers are free and bolts are tight. Check head bearings. Was the bike in storage off the tires or did it sit through the winter on the tires?

Pressure was 35...............hmmmmmmmm. Tires look OK.
Alright, both of you raised points i didnt check and didnt consider...learn something every day.
OK...now, let me add something I noticed but thought nothing about: I have a Laminar Lip....I did notice that the lip was flapping like crazy that day....so might the front end be flapping the lip....or might the lip have been added to this event opr even created it. As said...no wobble and not much feedback thru the bars....it's just that your suggestions prompt me to look at stuff i wouldn't have thought of.
OK...will double check tire tomorrow, inflate to spec and if no change...will remove lip.
Thanks to both for jumping right in. Will advise.

I had/have the same problem with my FZ6. It started last year, with the same feeling you've described. I torqued to spec all front end parts, checked tire air pressure, even changed my clutch and brake levers. No change. Last week, after I washed my bike, I noticed rusty water on my steering stem and front of my gas tank. Have you changed out your steering head bearings? I now am convinced that my steering stem bearings are shot and am ordering new ones tomorrow. It may be worth your while to do a search on this forum about steering head bearings. It will show you how to check them, symptoms of bad steering head bearings, and detailed instructions as to how to change them yourself if you are so inclined. FWIW.

Like Def stated, could be your steering bearings going south. It could also be one or both wheels are slightly out of balance, and it doesn't present itself until your're going pretty fast. I've had that happen in my cars, where all seems fine until I'm going 70+.

Checked tire pressure again in the daylight...let a few puffs out and the prob disappeared and didnt show up again till 115-ish. Well, given that I spend very little time at that speed it could be a done deal yet I did notice that the weight appeared to be reattached by former owner ...I think it's worth balancing the wheel...thanks for the help

Back