Broke my finger...

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!

Anyone with a good solution to how I'm gonna be able to ride with my left middle finger broken?? It hurts like where it's very warm if I even look at the clutch lever. The finger is taped up so I can't move it, which is a good thing. Even so, it' pretty much impossible to ride, and most likely that's the situation for the next three weeks:(:(:(

Bullocks!

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
For safety I would leave the bike grounded for 3 weeks. It's better than a possible accident from not being able to move your finger.

If the bike is your only transportation, I would suggest to learn the art of clutchless shifting gears. (only upshifting from 2nd to 6th that is.) never for downshifting or from 1th to second.
also staying in second or third gear makes you use the cluch less often and keeps the stress off your hand an finger.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks

No, I have a car also, but it't a pita not be able to ride when the spring has finally come.

I've thought about riding using clutchless shifting, but as you said: That's a bit of a problem going from second into first, and also when you're in heavy traffic. I thought there might be a way to "soften" the clutch a bit, so as to reduce the pulling force needed to engage the clutch. Might it help greasing the wire?

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Thanks

No, I have a car also, but it't a pita not be able to ride when the spring has finally come.

I've thought about riding using clutchless shifting, but as you said: That's a bit of a problem going from second into first, and also when you're in heavy traffic. I thought there might be a way to "soften" the clutch a bit, so as to reduce the pulling force needed to engage the clutch. Might it help greasing the wire?

greasing the cable can't hurt the bike. Also the stiffness of the clutch is mostly determined by the spring at your right knee.
Maybe you can replace the spring with a less stiffer one? I don't know if this even exists. I'm just thinking out loud :) I'm sure more experienced forum members can be more at help.

Maybe you can use the clutch with your index finger and your ring finger?

Hope your finger heals up quickely :thumbup:

cowauto

Stop raining on me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to break the middle finger on my right hand a couple of weeks ago whilst at work. Funnily enough I was darned if I was going to leave my bike there, so I untaped my fingers and rode home. :spank:
All was fine until I happened across three deer having a chat in the middle of the road (4 O'clock in the morning, single track country roads). I must confess that emergency braking with my finger already twice its normal size was not a pleasurable experience. I'd never really thought about just how much force is used by the hand when braking hard, but by jove it didn't half hurt!

Moral of the story: try not to ride with broken digits if at all possible, sensations will vary between being rather uncomfortable to downright painful.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you can let the finger rest for say 1 week and then you can try clutching with the middle finger extended -- like shifting at the same time as giving the bird :D.

But try it off the main busy highways to see if it's ok. If it doesn't work out good enough (only you can judge), give it more rest. Maybe you can practice with the bike parked.

I would go nuts without the bike for 3 weeks -- but you've get to let that thing heal. I hope it heals soon.

Dennis

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the car! :)

BTW, how did you break it?

You won't believe it if I told you... But heck.

Bachelor's party for my friend, 5 o'clock in the friggin morning, someone dares you to engage in finger wrestling... What happens? Well, yes. Finger's broken.

The fine lady in the emergency room couldn't help her self when she asked how I did that. She startyed giggling and showed me the way to the x-ray room.

Fun story though, even if it is a tad embarassing:spank:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You won't believe it if I told you... But heck.

Bachelor's party for my friend, 5 o'clock in the friggin morning, someone dares you to engage in finger wrestling... What happens? Well, yes. Finger's broken.

The fine lady in the emergency room couldn't help her self when she asked how I did that. She startyed giggling and showed me the way to the x-ray room.

Fun story though, even if it is a tad embarassing:spank:

:iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::Im With Stupid::D

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also the stiffness of the clutch is mostly determined by the spring at your right knee.

I'm fairly sure the stiffness is mainly determined by the clutch springs, not that 'return' spring on the outside.

The only way I know that you can reduce the tension is to lengthen the clutch arm (you could weld in a 1cm section) which gives you more leverage. You could also try relocating your clutch perch to the right, giving you more leverage on the lever itself.

Having said that, I wouldn't be riding. You never know when you need to grab it quickly, and the risk of further damage to your finger imo isn't worth it.