Break in new FZ6R driving from Boston to DC?

darkLeo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, for financial reasons I need to buy my 2012 FZ6R north of Boston, and get it to where I live, DC, between buying it on a Friday afternoon and being home in DC on that Sunday night.

Is there any practical, reasonable way to break in the bike and achieve that mileage (500 miles) in two days?

thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great family!

Break in is sometimes a controversial concept. One of the things you hear is vary the RPM. Even if you remain below the specific RPM's required, you should not keep the engine at a single RPM which would sort of be the case on a long interstate ride. :D

darkLeo

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you, that's very helpful! I'm excited to join the family :D Can't wait to pick up the bike, want to treat it right.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
Just keep the rev's fairly low and slowly go higher, and keep them varied as said above. Find the non highway way back and it'll be fine.

Normally I trust the manufacturers recommendations but break in seems to be a section that the lawyers got to or something. I thought my ninja 250's break in rev limit of 4000 was ridiculous till I heard from someone that Kawasaki has the same break in recommendations for everything. V-twin to peaky I-4. (If you haven't ridden a 250, 4k is about where you rev just to get the thing going. It probably makes around 10 hp there.)

Edit: I just looked up the FZ6s and they're conservative but not unreasonable.

0-600miles avoid prolonged operation above 7k (easily doable off the highway)
600-1000 blah blah blah above 9k
Change the oil at 1000 miles.

Last edited:

darkLeo

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok thanks - that's what I was thinking, back roads at first maybe. Change oil on the way. I could always rent a truck if that's safer too, just trying to think it through.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read this bit about engine break-in and I'm not sure what to make of it. It sounds like we ought to block out half z day or more to break an engine in right.

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

I like the site's description of itself: "...North Texas’s premiere non-profit organization dedicated to the use, preservation and restoration of all makes and models of motorcycle but especially British and European motorcycles."

Not sure if you have the chance to test that recommendation, or would want to if you did. But it was an interesting read.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Heres another break in idea http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I done 2 break ins on 2 different trucks this way, 1 was a 5cyl Colorado and the other was a 4.8l silvervado. Both of them would smoke the same exact truck and the silvervado even took out quite a few 5.3l. So that's another way if you care to try.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Not sure if the FZ6R is like the S but we have ceramic coated cylinders and very tight tolerances. I guess the rings still need breaking in but break-in is not as important as it was for older engines. Of course transmission, clutch and bearing surfaces still need to go slow for a while.