Brake line leak...

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I found a little puddle of brake fluid under my left brake caliper yesterday... As I have never worked on brakes before, I'm gonna need your input..

I attached a picture that shows the brake lines and caliper. On the picture, everything is dry above the red line. Then the red arrows point at the brake fluid: where the lines connects to the brake, and then down on the caliper, to the floor..

I assume it's one of the 2 lines that is leaking (the bike was sitting with forks at full lock left so I don't know which one it is). It's not a big leak, maybe a square inch puddle on the floor after letting the bike sit for a week..

Anybody ever had that kind of leak and can point me in the right direction to fix it?

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
Try re-torquing the bolt, clean the area with brake cleaner, top off the reservoir if needed and see if it continues to leak. It wouldn't hurt to bleed the line either, but it's more involved.

W

wrightme43

That is exactly right. ^^^^

Retorque, and then pressure up the system with your hand. If it continues to leak, you will need new copper crush washers or just whole new lines.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll try retorquing the bolt and let you know if it fixed the leak.