Bogging down

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought a 2006 FZ6 with 1,500 miles on it, and assume because of this it has been sitting for a while. After riding for about 30 minutes, I gunned the throttle open hard. The motorcycle acted as if it were going to speed up, but then experienced bogging and began to slow down, even though the throttle was still open. Upon releasing the throttle to what i use it at normally, it caught right back on and sped up again. After testing this numerous time and experiencing the same effect, i decided that possibly the fuel was sloshing around the pick up too much(fuel level at 2 bars, or approximately 1/4 tank). After visiting the local gas station and fueling up, I immediately noticed that the gas gauge had only gone up one bar (now at 3 bars, even though tank is full). Despite this, i took the motorcycle back on the road to test for the bogging issue again. When throttle is slammed open this time, the bike takes off like it normally would. I forgot to look at how much gas i put in the motorcycle, but i know didnt seem like it was empty because it didnt take long to fill and my trip meter only read 109 miles for that trip so far. There is some rust on the immediate inside of the gas tank that i can see as i fill it. I first suspected that the fuel filter may be clogged. I looked at diagrams of the fuel system and cannot find a fuel filter, however one is referenced later on in the manual. Thoughts on the matter please?

Edit 1: Forgot to add, this was not the first time riding this since buying it. Ive already ridden through about 2 tanks of gas on it.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel filter is located inside the fuel pump housing wich is in the fuel tank and is almost impossible to replace by itself. The fuel sending unit is also made into this housing and that sounds like the culprit for the fuel gauge acting the way it is. Mine doesnt work either i normally just reset my trip odo every fillup and ride between 100-150 miles before filling up. If the bike did sit for quite a while chances are the fuel system is just a little gummed up and the bike needs to be ridden. If you havent already changed the oil i would do that first, also run a couple of tanks of fuel treatment through it (seafoam) and that should clear things up. It also wouldnt hurt to check the air filter. Do those things first and if the problems persist then look else where.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
I cant find anything the manual called a fuel sending unit, but are you saying its part of the pump itself or just the fuel system? Is 100-150 miles on a tank normal? I thought it was supposed to get far better gas mileage than that. Changed oil recently, to Rotella 15W-40(In Florida), as it has been suggested in previous threads. Will get some Seafoam later today and start putting it in, thanks!

Read some similar articles about a TPS recall, but 2006 models arent covered under the recall. Bump.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The sending unit is built into the fuel pump housing, its what sends the signal to gauge to show your fuel level based on where the float is. The float does just that floats up and down as the fuel level goes up and down. Either your float is hung up (not going up when you fill up) or the sending unit is not working right. But the bikes can get more miles to a tank of gas thats just where i normally fill up because i dont like to go down below a 1/4 tank and since i have no way of knowing exactly how much fuel i have i just play it safe and fill up early.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to a yamaha dealer today. They said i need a new gas tank, mine is too rusted (from previous owner letting motorcycle sit). Probably will need a new fuel pump, because the shop doesnt disassemble them to replace the filters. Also a new cam chain tensioner to get rid of a clicking noise.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Before droping that kind of money try the seafoam, at least 3 times and if it.doesn't seem to get any better then i would consider it. But not that im doubting the dealer just i wouldn't replace it without trying it first

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I know what your saying, I just want to avoid doing damage to, or gunking up, the fuel injectors. I have a couple pictures of what it looks like so ill try to find a way to post them.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, if the pictures dont show up on here, ive included direct links to the pictures themselves. Also, when the pictures are blown up, you can really see just how bad the gas tank looks.

IMAG0138.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/Camiaz/IMAG0136.jpg

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
That is pretty nasty!

I would prepare myself for replacing the tank, though you may be able to work around it. If you're even remotely mechanically inclined, replace the tank yourself and save yourself a TON of money.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That tank is horrible. Blame this on government mandated ethanol in our gas! :spank:

Also make sure you check out the air-box well if it's been sitting that long...mice love to build nests in air-boxes of unused vehicles/motorcycles.

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont understand how it could have gotten this bad, its only an 06 with 1500 miles on it! Oh well, im on the look out for a blue tank now, so if anyone spots a good deal on a good lookin tank, let me know!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
On second thought after seeing that tank replace it first...lol then try the seafoam befor messing with looking for a fuel pump

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
On second thought after seeing that tank replace it first...lol then try the seafoam befor messing with looking for a fuel pump

Yeah, thats about what im going to do. I got a tank treatment today and will probably get around to taking the tank off this weekend. Im thinking im going to leave the pump alone for right now, and just clean the tank sock off(If it has one).

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, thats about what im going to do. I got a tank treatment today and will probably get around to taking the tank off this weekend. Im thinking im going to leave the pump alone for right now, and just clean the tank sock off(If it has one).

I dont think it does have one, at least i dont remember seeing one when i pulled my pump. I will say be carefull when you pull the pump out of the tank, rhe float sticks off the pump about 2" and will get hung on the side of the tank if your not careful. Plus once you have it out, as long as you didnt damage the float removing it, you might be able to find out why your gauge isnt working.

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

BurnitDown

Reaction score
Visit site
Took my tank off and apart yesterday.... No wonder im having problems. There is a pile of rust at the bottom of my tank, and the fuel filter was in seriously bad condition. The tank may not be serviceable, but someone suggested i try electrolysis just to see how it works. I've disassembled the fuel pump and cleaned it pretty good, but havnt been able to reach a fuel filter yet. I noticed something today that i missed yesterday. There is another cover(very small) near a elbow-like bend in the pump housing that can be taken off, and what i believe to be a backflow valve underneath. Is there a way to take the pump itself apart at all, or a way to reach the fuel filter? Oh yeah, no wonder my fuel gauge wasnt showing correctly.... Will post pictures soon.

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
That tank is horrible. Blame this on government mandated ethanol in our gas! :spank:

Also make sure you check out the air-box well if it's been sitting that long...mice love to build nests in air-boxes of unused vehicles/motorcycles.

Heh no, blame it on the Florida weather with salt in the ocean ;)

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
Go buy a 24 pack of coca cola and dump everything in there :)

Let sit for 24 hours and see all your rust problems go away.

As for cleaning everything after the rust is gone, that's on you ;)