Bloody pen drive thingy won't work..........

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would defo check the drive in your old computer to ascertain if it is still readable. If not you might need to look at recovery. Plenty of s/w out there to do that.

Just for future reference you should make sure that you have un-mounted the drive before pulling it from the computer. You might be ok 999/1000 but that one time a delayed write may leave it corrupted.

As others have said you should keep more than one copy of data that is vital. Also you should keep it at another physical location. You may have 10 backups in the cupboard but if your house burns down then they amount too nothing.
Thanks M,
I always close the drive before removing it. I have previously crashed by pulling one out.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One time I had trouble getting my stuff to work, so I checked the brand name of the tool and searched for it on the Internet.

If you look around, you'll find downloads that will update everything and enable the device to work. Give me a PM if you need help.
Cheers Raid, I did have a quick Google looking for the driver name. It actually turned up a huge amount of crap.
The driver is called "easy disk". A friend of mine got it for me off the net. So I am unsure of all of the specifics.

Nelly

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
For backup, look into getdropbox.com. You get free 2G of space. You get an account, copy files to your dropbox folder and then they get copied to a "server" machine out there somewhere (i.e., offsite). You can then go to another desktop or laptop computer (Mac, PC, Linux) and install/login to your dropbox account and the files automatically get synch'ed to the new computer. If you delete, it gets deleted everywhere. If you add, it gets added everywhere.

Oh, you have to have an Internet connection to use dropbox (broadband is best).

I put some data on there and now it's on 5 different PCs -- that's 5 redundant copies. Plus, you can still use your USB stick as your local backup. I'm pretty paranoid about losing my data and that's why I got upset when my wife suggested we carry the play magnets in the same suitcase as my disk drive :eek:.

Where I come from, we use floppies, CDs, DVDs, USB sticks for recovery only (maybe software install too); everything else is on "the Net". And we have security, etc., passwords that change every 10 seconds (something called SecureID), etc. :D

I recommend you "upgrade to a more familiar experience" by installing XP. I just got a new laptop with Vista Home and it's pretty but it doesn't play well with my other machines (I'm sure it's a learning curve thing).

Dennis

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For backup, look into getdropbox.com. You get free 2G of space. You get an account, copy files to your dropbox folder and then they get copied to a "server" machine out there somewhere (i.e., offsite). You can then go to another desktop or laptop computer (Mac, PC, Linux) and install/login to your dropbox account and the files automatically get synch'ed to the new computer. If you delete, it gets deleted everywhere. If you add, it gets added everywhere.

Oh, you have to have an Internet connection to use dropbox (broadband is best).

I put some data on there and now it's on 5 different PCs -- that's 5 redundant copies. Plus, you can still use your USB stick as your local backup. I'm pretty paranoid about losing my data and that's why I got upset when my wife suggested we carry the play magnets in the same suitcase as my disk drive :eek:.

Where I come from, we use floppies, CDs, DVDs, USB sticks for recovery only (maybe software install too); everything else is on "the Net". And we have security, etc., passwords that change every 10 seconds (something called SecureID), etc. :D

I recommend you "upgrade to a more familiar experience" by installing XP. I just got a new laptop with Vista Home and it's pretty but it doesn't play well with my other machines (I'm sure it's a learning curve thing).

Dennis
Thanks for the advice Dennis, I am in an area where Broard band has not reached l0l. 2012 is ear marked for the first lines. I currentley use a wireless connection.
I am still not 100% happy about a third party owning my data.

Nelly

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
If you ever plug a hardware device into a computer and it doesn't autoload, you can check around on the Internet for device updates. I had to do this for my printer and it was fun.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Dennis, I am in an area where Broard band has not reached l0l. 2012 is ear marked for the first lines. I currentley use a wireless connection.
I am still not 100% happy about a third party owning my data.

Nelly

Another simple way to have 'online' back up is to get a gmail account and email the file to another one of your accounts. The attachment stays in your gmail account and is searchable. I do that with a couple things. Adding a odd word in the email makes searching later easier, especially if you use that word for all of those types of emails.