Bikes on ferries

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A bunch of us are doing the Manitoulin Island on the 27th of Sept. We have to be at the ferry in Tobermory at 7:50am, then it takes 2 hours to get to South Baymouth. I am a little nervous about going on the ferry, but I am quite lucky as there will be about 4-6 guys with me to help me tie down my Fizzer. (We will be bringing our own tiedown straps) Should be a fun trip! I didn't realize how expensive it would be, but it costs $18.15 per bike, one way and $15.95 per adult, one way.
Here's the link to the ferry we are taking...its a beeeeautiful boat!

Welcome to the MS Chi-Cheemaun - Tobermory Ferry to Manitoulin Island

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Steve, I found this thread about it. Problem I'm not sure how many securing points I will have, so the more Idea's the better :thumbup:
Let the Ferry boys do it Martin.
That way if there is any damage, its on their insurance.

Nelly

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let the Ferry boys do it Martin.
That way if there is any damage, its on their insurance.

Nelly

that's what I thought but I sent Stena line an E-mail asking how they secure the bikes and they made it very clear that they don't do it, but they supply the straps and can give you tips, but at the end of the day it's your responsibility :(

kamao

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a couple of bikes that used the side stand, strap across the seat and a very strong band on the front brake lever to stop it shifting about. Yet to try the method :confused:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A bunch of us are doing the Manitoulin Island on the 27th of Sept. We have to be at the ferry in Tobermory at 7:50am, then it takes 2 hours to get to South Baymouth. I am a little nervous about going on the ferry, but I am quite lucky as there will be about 4-6 guys with me to help me tie down my Fizzer. (We will be bringing our own tiedown straps) Should be a fun trip! I didn't realize how expensive it would be, but it costs $18.15 per bike, one way and $15.95 per adult, one way.
Here's the link to the ferry we are taking...its a beeeeautiful boat!

Welcome to the MS Chi-Cheemaun - Tobermory Ferry to Manitoulin Island

Hope you have a great trip Steph (looking forward to the pics :thumbup:), . My ferry journey will be aprox 5 1/2 to 6 hours journey and you're not allowed to return to your vehicle during the crossing :(

Luckily I'm not paying for my crossing but my employer is, I could also have taken the trip down to France and catch a ferry there (1.30 crossing time) but my employer would have to pay more extra costs for the petrol compensation than for the ferry crossing.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that's what I thought but I sent Stena line an E-mail asking how they secure the bikes and they made it very clear that they don't do it, but they supply the straps and can give you tips, but at the end of the day it's your responsibility :(
Fair enough mate,

It answers your question then. Get practicing in the back yard lol.

Nelly

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on where and how long the ride is. I take my FZ6 on a ferry over the James River about 15 times a year. It's a 30 minute ferry trip. I just park the FZ on the side stand. If wind or seas are rough then I stay with bike to steady it rather than wander around the ship.

You need to watch the get-on/get-off transition since in my case the ferry has about a 4 inch gap between the road and the ramp. No worse than going over a speed-bump. Also the ferry deck is steel plate. Need to be extra cautious when it's wet. Not bad if it's dry, but as usual watch out for oil that may have been deposited by other vehicles. Oil on steel is potentially VERY dangerous.

Hotei

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a pic of how they strapped down my bike:
View attachment 8541
When I arrived they marshalled me into position and put a cargo chain across the floor under my bike, they told me to put it on the centre stand, and they strapped it down on both sides, after this they put chocks against both wheels.
The crossing was pretty choppy, you could hear the ships bow crashing down off of a wave every now and then, anyway the bike was still in position when I came back to it without any sign of damage.

It surprised me that they strapped it down but I didn't say anything and let them get on with it (this way I figured if anything went wrong they were liable).

BTW there was a KLE bike next to mine which didn't have a centre stand but they strapped it down in the same way.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Martin, another string to your bow.:thumbup:
Mark

Cheers Mark :thumbup:

On the way back the ferry was pretty full so they marshalled me next to a CBR and asked to put it on the centre stand. This time they put 1 strap across the front of the sadle (after asking for something to put under it to protect the tank), both me and the CBR were strapped to the same cargo chain. I must admit I had to ask for the chocks this time as I didn't fancy my bike rocking on the centre stand, during the journey.