Bike wont start

alopez03

Reaction score
Visit site
On March and April I had to incidents where the bike wouldn't start and it would make a rapid ticking noise while I would hit the starter switch.The light on the panels did light on.Those two times I managed to push start the bike in second gear.This Sunday the same thing happened but I couldn't start it with a push. Is it right to assume it's a battery problem? I already ordered a Yuasa YT12-BS assuming its a bad battery.(is that a good battery?)In case its a battery issue how easy is it to change it?.I know it's under the gas tank cover. I found a youtube video where they explain how to do it but I don't know if its that's the complete process. (I also learned from that video that mice can lay nests inside bikes!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUYITUnDbjs]Battery Replacement Yamaha FZ6 - YouTube[/ame]

I just don't want to be stranded again.This Sunday I had to push my fz6 for about 2 miles in order to get back home and it really sucks.I will greatly appreciate feedback on this issue.Thanks

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, your battery's dead. I don't know about the non-push start though. Maybe you accidentally flipped the kill switch?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, your battery's dead. I don't know about the non-push start though. Maybe you accidentally flipped the kill switch?
^ + 1 the clicking is a discharged battery. Not sure why you couldn't bump it the second time. As long as you get the speed up ~10mph when you're pushing and use 2nd gear it should fire up very quickly.

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That video is very accurate but just to add to it:

(1) Slightly loosen the rear "hinge bolt", should be a 12mm

(2)watch how far you swing the gas tank back. Its very easy to go TOO
FAR and pull out the two wire assemblies or damage them (see pic).

(3) When re-assembling, there's two vent lines from the fuel filler area,
they go down to the right side of the frame behind the driver foot
peg. It is very easy to kink these vent/overflow lines and cause
additional problems. Take note how far they are now. You should be
able to see them go nice and straight under the tank, then gently
pull on the them, and feel where it gets tight to make sure their
straight.

(4) Some folks use a bungee cord to hold up the tank(strapped to the rear
of the bike. I use(and prefer) a "Home Depo" paint mixing stick which is
21" long, about 1.5" wide. Fits perfect, enough room for working
under the tank and you won't inadvertantly pull the two wire
harnesses out by accident.

BTW, Dash lights dimming while cranking is a very good indicator of a failing battery.

Also, for thatt new battery, it comes about 80% charged. MAKE SURE it put on a trickle charger until FULLY CHARGED (usually a green light on the charger) before installing it. You battery will last longer doing this. Ddepending on the charger, the charge of the battery, it could take several hours for a full charge..

*If you can post the year of your bike at the top left (where you have yamaha fz6), it'd help with later posts. Posting mileage on the clock also helps depending on the issue.

Yuasa is (was OEM), which I prefer. You should be fine with that battery.

Last edited: