Bike won't start sometimes.

JAY

GU, Drive 2hrs start over
Reaction score
Visit site
I go to start my 07 FZ6 and all I hear is a click. Tried it again, same thing. Did it a few more (10) times and then it turned over perfectly. Any ideas or experience with this issue? Thanks!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a battery issue to me. I'd throw it on a charger and see the the problem is solved. I've always found the classic "tic, tic, tic" to be a battery issue.

Good luck.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
My bet is on a dirty/degraded starter switch... happens quite often. Try to clean it up using alcohol.

If not, checking the battery would be next... but why would it take 10 tries... if its dead its dead...

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
i had the same issue before on a diff auto, was a bad/coroded connection between the starter and the battery ground

alfagama

Reaction score
Visit site
If the battery is dead, it will not start at all. The click, click .. then start is normally due to connector problem between the battery and the starter. The starter itself failing is also a possibility, for this, try to move the bike back and forth with the gear box engaged in first or second, so the engine can turn a bit, then try again.

hope this helps.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
If the battery is dead, it will not start at all. The click, click .. then start is normally due to connector problem between the battery and the starter. The starter itself failing is also a possibility, for this, try to move the bike back and forth with the gear box engaged in first or second, so the engine can turn a bit, then try again.

hope this helps.

Possibly, but my battery has died more times that I care to mention. In every instance it has ticked a couple times and started right up. I drain more amps than the charging system can handle. It could be many things, but my experience points to the battery.

The only thing I can figure is it is in a compression stroke on a couple cylinders and the click moves it a little at a time. Then it goes over TDC on those pistons gains a little momentum and is able to get a couple strokes to start. All speculation, but my experience.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Possibly, but my battery has died more times that I care to mention. In every instance it has ticked a couple times and started right up. I drain more amps than the charging system can handle. It could be many things, but my experience points to the battery.

The only thing I can figure is it is in a compression stroke on a couple cylinders and the click moves it a little at a time. Then it goes over TDC on those pistons gains a little momentum and is able to get a couple strokes to start. All speculation, but my experience.

Tapping the starter a bunch of times, and having it start without issue after that seems to indicate adequate juice is available.....

I'd consider a burnt spot on the windings of the starter.... if it's fine most of the time, it's a matter of the juice trying to flow through that one bad spot. If the starter is at another position in it's rotation, and starts off on a 'good' spot, it has no problem getting over that bad spot..... inertia will carry it past.

Starting out from exactly the same spot, over and over again.... eventually the coil, or brush will develop a burn and degrade the amount of current that will flow. That makes for a weak 'push' when that spot is in the circuit.

JAY

GU, Drive 2hrs start over
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. There is only one tick or pop though. I push the starter and hear "click" and nothing else.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the replies. There is only one tick or pop though. I push the starter and hear "click" and nothing else.

If you tap the button and hear the tick/pop, let go of the starter button immediately. Tap it again, and let go again if it doesn't immediately turn over.... try that a half dozen times, and see if you can 'nudge' the starter off the burnt spot I am suspecting. If it gets off the spot, and starts normally, that's a good indication of where the problem is.

ccarmineq1

Reaction score
Visit site
I was having the same issue this whole week.... Bike would start up fine and then when I cranked it up sometimes, all I got was click, click, click, click...
Found out Battery wasnt cranking enough amps to kick her over....

triumsg

Reaction score
Visit site
Really glad that I came across this thread cos im having exactly the same problem.

All I hear is click everytime i press the starter switch ... and last night clicked for almost 5 minutes and it suddenly started.

I agree with the logic that if the battery is bad, why would it start after 5 minutes of clicking ...

Suspect its just the starter switch ... worked fine (for a few weeks) after i sprayed contact cleaner.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Appreciate views/comments.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the battery and have a load test done on it. Either rule it out or replace it..

BTW, to get a general idea of the battery condtion, if you have a volt meter, you should have over 12 volts sitting (turned off). When cranking, it should drop a little.

When my batery started to go (noticed the dash lights dimming), I checked the voltage while cranking. It dropped as low as 8 volts but still started.

You still need to check the amperage, the voltage test (with starter load) will give you a good idea about the battery..

Batteries can also develope a "dead short" inside that comes and goes as well if its failing...

triumsg

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to update ... came across a biker with just the same problem ... click click click and then starts. Sometimes clicks for 5 minutes and then starts.

Problem traced to a faulty starter relay.

I replaced my starter relay (S$42) over the weekend (it sits on top of the battery) and all is well thus far. Will update in a few weeks - fingers crossed!