Bike sat for 6mos, getting her ready this weekend.

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
(edit: she sat for almost 8months!)

So I had a on the road job and the poor girl has been sitting covered outside in all weather(mostly high heat, rain, no freezing weather). I added seafoam before I left and cranked her up every month when I was home. This is my to-do list have I forgotten anything or overlooked something important?

Done -Oil/filter change
Done -Brake fluid change
Done -Tire Check
Done -Air Filter change
Done -*Lube cables, bearings (Thanks Motojoe)
Installed new mirrors while I was at it.

Mostly nervous about getting back at her after the long break, hope she doesn't spite me.

So this was the condition of her under the cover. The chain has many rust spots, should it just be replaced or can it be cleaned?

2012-12-30_10-03-30_904_zps2552dc85.jpg

Once she's washed and sparkling I'll get some pics up of her.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

You might want to lube the cables, bearings, anything you have not touched in a while. Just a good once over:thumbup:

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so glad you mentioned that you just jogged my memory! I ordered a ez glider lube kit almost a year ago and never used it. Woot I just found it buried in my tools.. you rock.

I'll get some pics up when she's back to her former glory!

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully she's been on a battery tender the whole while. Learned that lesson the hard way. Sunday morning is the big day I haven't even taken the cover off yet. Its like Christmas morning for me tomorrow haha.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully she's been on a battery tender the whole while. Learned that lesson the hard way. Sunday morning is the big day I haven't even taken the cover off yet. Its like Christmas morning for me tomorrow haha.

Fire that puppy up and go ride!!!

Let her warm up some before blowing the carbon out!:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Quote: "So this was the condition of her under the cover. The chain has many rust spots, should it just be replaced or can it be cleaned?"

Its likely just surface rust on the outer plates unless you haven't lubed it previously.

I'd get it on the centerstand and rotate the rear wheel (engine off) looking for any signs of kinking... Some WD 40 would help in cleaning it, then a very good application of chain lube. If there are any links, you can try working them out by hand.

BTW, how many miles on the chain?

I wouldn't replace the chain just yet..

Do the above, go for a nice easy ride, re-check the chain. You don't want to throw the chain thru the cases...If its got any permanent kinks, you can try to work them out further (remove the rear wheel, you'll have lots of room to play with the link then).

IMHO, if the chain passes and you want to get rid of the rust, a wire brush lightly passed over the links should remove the surface rust. Make sure ALL the wire brush bristles are gone (air compressor, wipe down, etc).

Please post your results

Last edited:

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, with the WD40 do I want to wipe off excess or just let it soak and than apply chainlube over it?

I bought the bike used, so I have to assume the previous owner never changed the chain have about 9k miles on her. I've always kept the chain well maintained before hand though.

Its been raining here lately hopefully this weekend its nice and clear.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Wipe off the chain before applying the lube. It might take a lot of rags/paper towels and more cleaner to get all the grunge off and out if it hasn't been cleaned in a while

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2