Bike Just Ceased

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a new biker. Just got an FZ6 (naked :thumbup: )

Already I've learnt alot from dis forum. Learnt how 2 lube a clutch & adjust it too. :)

Was riding yesterday and my bike just ceased when I was riding @about 50km/h :(. Called a friend 2 help me jump start it cos d battery went down . It started but ceased again

Any possible suggestions of wat the issue could be? :confused:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
did the engine seize, or did it cease running?

the former would suggest insufficient oil, or a problem with the oil circulation, the latter could be due to a variety of things.

did you get any error code on the dash?

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
did the engine seize, or did it cease running?

the former would suggest insufficient oil, or a problem with the oil circulation, the latter could be due to a variety of things.

did you get any error code on the dash?

The engine seized & I didn't get any error code. I'll check d oil level when I get home

Tanx

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the OP means ceased not seized. Two different words and meanings.

If the engine seized it would not start a second time. Because you were able to jump start the bike means it runs and is not seized.

If the motor ceased it just stopped. If it seized the engine is bound by friction and can not rotate.

If the engine can start it's probably not seized. You can have oil in the crack case but the oil pump failed. That failure can result in seizing.

Never jump start from a car with the engine running. you can jump start from a car but leave the car motor off.

After checking that connections to the battery are good, test voltage at the battery. The voltage on a healthy charges battery should read 12.5 to 13.1 VDC

Also you want to charge the battery and have it load tested to see that it has the amp hour rating it should.

If the battery tests good you could have a problem with the charging system.
With the voltmeter at the battery, it should read 13 plus volt DC when the engine is above 2000 RPM. This can vary if your battery is still in need of charging. If you're not seeing 13 plus volts DC there may be a charging system malfunction.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!!!

Just for clarification as Cliff mentioned, the engine stopped running correct?

If it seized (not "ceased"), that means it won't turn over anymore, jump starting/push starting, etc, correct?

Check your battery connections too, that their clean, nice and tight...

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure sounds like an electrical fault since you were able to jump-start it?

Were there any odd sounds from the engine during the short time from jumpstart to 2nd stop?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the engine shut off in a split second it might be a faulty safety switch (don't remember the exact name for it but I mean the big read one just left of the throttle).
You wouldn't get any error code on the dash either because the comp would just think you flipped that red switch yourself :rolleyes:
It's quite easy to take appart and check if everything looks alright :)

The "engine stop switch" is how its referred to in the shop manual (AKA: KILL SWITCH)

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the OP means ceased not seized. Two different words and meanings.

If the engine seized it would not start a second time. Because you were able to jump start the bike means it runs and is not seized.

If the motor ceased it just stopped. If it seized the engine is bound by friction and can not rotate.

If the engine can start it's probably not seized. You can have oil in the crack case but the oil pump failed. That failure can result in seizing.

Never jump start from a car with the engine running. you can jump start from a car but leave the car motor off.

After checking that connections to the battery are good, test voltage at the battery. The voltage on a healthy charges battery should read 12.5 to 13.1 VDC

Also you want to charge the battery and have it load tested to see that it has the amp hour rating it should.

If the battery tests good you could have a problem with the charging system.
With the voltmeter at the battery, it should read 13 plus volt DC when the engine is above 2000 RPM. This can vary if your battery is still in need of charging. If you're not seeing 13 plus volts DC there may be a charging system malfunction.

Clear distinction b/w ceased & seized. D bike ceased :)

I've checked & it has oil in d crank. Don't hav a volt meter so can't check d volt on d battery.

Nice advise on "
Never jump start from a car with the engine running."

Was suspecting d fuel system but I'll hav 2 call a mechanic to check d oil pump & charging system

I definitely keep U posted

Tanx

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry - while you replied my post I noticed that he could jumpstart it once and no more, so my kill switch theory was shot down.
... and then I edited my post!

Still not a bad call cuz the Kill switch could be intermittent as it sometimes is on the FZ6 lately.

We might have a small language barrier but easily remedied with continued dialogue... :)

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure sounds like an electrical fault since you were able to jump-start it?

Were there any odd sounds from the engine during the short time from jumpstart to 2nd stop?

Will check on d electricals. Nope there wasn't any sound from the engine. It ran well den ceased

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!!!

Just for clarification as Cliff mentioned, the engine stopped running correct?

If it seized (not "ceased"), that means it won't turn over anymore, jump starting/push starting, etc, correct?

Check your battery connections too, that their clean, nice and tight...

Thank U Thank U
I'll check on d electricals. & also d oil pump tooo
Been to Florida. Stayed in Daytona Beach & I was opportune 2 b around during the Bike Fest. I hav never seen so many bikes in 1 location @ a time. I almost died of excitement lol (day in day out Vroooooommmmmm). Couldn't ride cos I didn't hav an international drivers license. But it was fun all d same

I'll keep U posted on how it goes

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
Tanx y'all. I called an electrician & he traced d wires to where it was loosely connected to a relay, under d left compartment (opp d compartment dat houses d tip over switch). D bike's running perfectly

Tanx once again 4 Uя suggestions. I'll really learnt a lot