Bike doesn't prime anymore

jjcool

Reaction score
Visit site
So I recently killed the battery by leaving on keys turned. When i jumped it, i left it to idle for a bit so that battery would charge. After I went inside for a good 15 minutes, I came back out and the bike was off.

I was pretty worried that I had done something to it and it overheated or something else. The bike also gave me error codes that I don't remembr (maybe 19? and 46?). I rode the bike around to charge the battery, and Ive recently noticed today that the sound of the priming engine doesn't come on when i turn the key anymore. The speedometer still does its thing by going up all the way and down, but instead there is no engine sound for priming.

What could be causing this? How do I fix it? What does priming actually do anyway? or is it even necessary?

Thanks guys!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike will not charge the system at idle and you'll also be using your cooling fan on top of that which will dump the battery.
I would charge your battery with a tender or remove the battery and charge it out of the bike if you're going to use a regular battery charger. Do not jump start the bike from a running car. This can damage the regulator/rectifier.
After you've charged the battery you can have it load tested to see if it's good.

Make sure your Kill Switch is turned to on and not stop... :)

The pump priming is to build fuel injection pressure to the injectors. The FI pressure wanes when the bike is not running. This keeps injector volume up.

Last edited:

jjcool

Reaction score
Visit site
My kill switch is on. otherwise the bike would not start.

The bike does not prime, but it DOES start. I just thought it was weird that it would stop priming. Maybe i overheated something?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know, maybe it has enough pressure in the line? If the engine is cold and hasn't run a while it usually primes Correct? If it's running okay now it's prolly okay. :)

jjcool

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm i leave it over night and it doens't prime, I also park at work for a good 15 hours and no prime.

i was thinking there was perhaps an electrial signal to do it and something was funny with it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm i leave it over night and it doens't prime, I also park at work for a good 15 hours and no prime.

i was thinking there was perhaps an electrial signal to do it and something was funny with it.

The fuel pump is called from the ECU. Because you threw some error codes it might correct it is you disconnect the battery for a few minutes. When you hook the battery back up see if it then goes through the prime cycle. The ECU might still think there was a problem and reverts to a fault.
I've gotten my FZ6 all janged up and I did the reset and it was good to go.