Better gas milage with a 15T?????????

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know why but I have gone through 3 tanks with the 15T front sprocket on and i've been getting 160 miles b4 F-Trip kicks on. I was getting 145-150 with the stock 16T.

How is this possible as the RPMs are higher for every gear? :confused:

Anyway the 15T front rocks :rockon: Very quick and I popped a power wheelie middle of first that got me thinking I might go back to stock sprocket. ;)

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you installed a speedohealer and calibrated your speedo since the sprocket change? There is inherent error in your speedo, odo, and mileage when you change the sprocket, until you calibrate with a speedohealer.

I had a similar experience after putting on my 15T front sprocket. It's not much, maybe a couple of miles per gallon apparent increase in mileage, but that mileage is meaningless to me until I install my a speedohealer and recalibrate.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you installed a speedohealer and calibrated your speedo since the sprocket change? There is inherent error in your speedo, odo, and mileage when you change the sprocket, until you calibrate with a speedohealer.

I had a similar experience after putting on my 15T front sprocket. It's not much, maybe a couple of miles per gallon apparent increase in mileage, but that mileage is meaningless to me until I install my a speedohealer and recalibrate.

+1, no judgement can be made properly re mileage until you get that speedo recalibrated via a Speedohealer.

:thumbup:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually after you do a speedohealer or speedo tuner is installed and properly calibrated the odometer will read slightly less than what you've really done. The odometer reads pretty accurate stock, when you corrrect for the 10% or more error in speed you will lower the odometer reading.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually after you do a speedohealer or speedo tuner is installed and properly calibrated the odometer will read slightly less than what you've really done. The odometer reads pretty accurate stock, when you corrrect for the 10% or more error in speed you will lower the odometer reading.

All the better at sell time....less miles on the clock.

:thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends how and what RPM's you're shifting at.

With a 15T front sprocket, the engine is doing less work to get up to speed.
You use less gas at 14,000RPM at part throttle than you to at 5,000RPM and full throttle.

So, if you're light on the throttle then yes, it's possible.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site

:squid:

Had not thought of that. lol thanks. GPS shows the disparity has increased quite a bit.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No problem. I'm running several tanks of gas on the 15T with no speedohealer for the purpose of showing what the differences are. Once I've run several tanks without it, I'll install a speedohealer and calibrate, then post my data.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all an illusion. The stock odometer is right on and the speedo reads high. In your case, your odometer now overestimates mileage travelled and your speedo likely reads even higher than your actual speed than it did stock.

I had the opposite appear when I changed to a 17t front sprocket. Once I checked it all with a GPS (over several 500+ mile trips to get a good idea), that explained the difference. In my case, my odometer now underestimates mileage traveled and my speedo is now accurate (exactly on with the GPS rather than being a bit optimistic).