Best way to secure bike

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi:

I'm taking a trip this Summer - either down to Tennessee, around Lake Superior or, perhaps even out to the Bad Lands. I don't know if I'll camp, but there will be several nights spent in [most likely mom and pop] motels.

I'm looking for the best way to keep my FZ protected from theft or being knocked down by some idiot sitting on it. I'd like to do all this without spending a bazzillion dillars.

I know keeping it covered is critical, so I do plant to take that device along with me, but I'll also need an alarm with a good lock - any suggestions?

Many thanks:

Jay

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no problem leaving my bike outside my apartment with the cover on it, and a large cable lock through the frame and around a pole. A xena disc lock/alarm combo can be had for under $60 and may give you a heads up if someone is messing with it. They have shock sensors that detect any movement of the lock. I also pass a short cable lock under the bike through each of the eyelets in the cover. Of all those things, the cover seems to keep most people away.

Enjoy your trip, but stay away from michigan, our weather sucks right now.

Last edited:

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
......You did note my location.

Lol, I'm in Taylor and obviously did not see your profile. The sad part about this summer is I bought my bike just before the rain started and we haven't had 2 dry days in a row since... :( My statment about staying out of MI still stands though haha.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
When you travel space and weight is a problem. Having a cover is a nice deterrent but one is hard to carry on a trip because they are so bulky. I use a good Kryptonite lock and park in well lighted areas at motels. So far no issues.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's covered it is very unlikely that anyone will mess with it and even if they did...a used FZ6 is not worth the trouble of trying to steal and trying to wrench off any parts is not worth the risk to thieves. I've spent many a night camping or at small motels with my FZ6, I don't even cover it. If you parked it in an inner city...yes it would probably get molested...but in the small towns in the south...it'll be fine.