Best Sprocket Combination, share your tales

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been thinking about changing the sprockets on my Fizza, read furiously through some of the threads on the forum about varying combinations of sprockets and chain, most popular being -1f/+2R and one crazy yeeh haaw from Down under from a fella with a -2F/+2R

What was the combination you installed
What has been your experience since you switched
What do you most use your bike for, highway,around town?

Let us hear it

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to be That Guy but a simple search will find several threads that cover this topic in great detail. It would be best to resurrect one of them...

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I run stock, not sure if I care to ever change it. However gearing it more like the R6 with a 15/48 combo could be fun.

I don't want to be That Guy but a simple search will find several threads that cover this topic in great detail. It would be best to resurrect one of them...

Well since that guy chimed in ill go one step further......But Cali is right, there are quite a few threads on this.....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/329-gearing-deep.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/5081-sprocket.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/10581-520-conversion-kit.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/3576-r6-sprocket-chain-mod.html

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I was watching this thread (I know there are others) to see if anyone answered this...

Which is better (if you wanna lower you ratio) - Down 1 in the front or up 3 in the back? Both give the same ratio (pretty much) but would one be better than the other for chain or sprocket life? What about torque on the chain or transmission shaft wear?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I was watching this thread (I know there are others) to see if anyone answered this...

Which is better (if you wanna lower you ratio) - Down 1 in the front or up 3 in the back? Both give the same ratio (pretty much) but would one be better than the other for chain or sprocket life? What about torque on the chain or transmission shaft wear?

I think most go with -1 in the front because you don't have to change the chain length. But if you're doing chain and sprockets, I'm not sure.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
This blog articulates the differences of gearing up and down and why you might want to do one or the other. Also this handy chart gives a good visual

Adjusting Your Drive Ratio – Changing Your Sprockets for Maximum Performance | TwoWheelMania

Sprocket-Ration-Chart.sflb.ashx

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been thinking about changing the sprockets on my Fizza, read furiously through some of the threads on the forum about varying combinations of sprockets and chain, most popular being -1f/+2R and one crazy yeeh haaw from Down under from a fella with a -2F/+2R

What was the combination you installed
What has been your experience since you switched
What do you most use your bike for, highway,around town?

Let us hear it
What are you trying to achieve with the sprocket change?
Acceleration or fuel consumption?

I have tried 16 front and 46 rear, better acceleration over stock and easier to power wheelie but felt decidedly under geared and very buzzy.

I now have 17 front and 45 rear, not buzzy, slight loss of acceleration, better MPG than stock bike, won't top out in 6th but will cruise nicely and still roll on the power. I need to drop down two gears going into tighter turns to get hard acceleration on the corner exit.

I am happier with my current gearing, it suits my riding and I like the better MPG.

Shed loads of threads on this subject,

Neil

Reaction score
Visit site
I began with 16, moved to 17 for roughly 1000 miles, back to 16, then to 15.
When it's time for a complete chain/sprocket change, I'll be sticking with 16.
After trying them all, the 16 feels to be the best of both.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I've got a 15 tooth front sprocket that I used for a few months and liked ALOT. I went back to the 16 tooth to try to regain some lost fuel economy (went from 48 to 45 average) but after switching back to the 16 I lost even more MPG (about 41 now). The only thing I can attribute to this would be trying to get the same acceleration with the 16 tooth that I had gotten used to with the 15. My chain and sprockets have about 27,000 miles now, so they're about due for replacement. When this happens I'll probably go with 16 in the front and 48 in the rear.