Best place for tank bag strap?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an old tank bag from a friend that included a nylon strap and buckle that was previously looped around a lower part of the front fork of a ZR7.

I'd like to re-use the tank bag for a little while and get used to being in front of my chest (new rider).

However, I'm not sure where to loop the strap with the buckle in a safe manner. Specifically, I didn't want it to interfere with the front fork and steering. Someone suggested lifting the fuel tank and looping it under one of the brackets there.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! I have the Rapid Transit Recon 19, I loop the strap closest to me under the bracket on the tank just under the seat and then I loop the front strap around the neck of the bike through the hole. I hope that makes sense, but it stays on well and never has interfered in the function of the bike.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
what i do with mine on the few times that i use it is to get the strap under the frame of the bike (where it narrows to meet the headstock). i leave it a bit loose so as not to scratch the frame. its more of a safety feature maybe as the tank bag is solid enough with just its magnets. when it s time to add fuel i have to remove the strap and the tank bag, refill and fix it back again. not a big deal to do but sometimes it really pisses me off

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As turbid says the strap is a safety precaution it goes around the head stock.
I have remove mine as the magnets do a great job and it is a PITA to undo everything when parking or fueling.

Neil:thumbup:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
As turbid says the strap is a safety precaution it goes around the head stock.
I have remove mine as the magnets do a great job and it is a PITA to undo everything when parking or fueling.

Neil:thumbup:

New to motorcycles -- had to Google headstock. So it shouldn't interfere with the turning function of the front fork if I loop the strap around that center metal part that I'm assuming is the headstock?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Icon urban tank bag and I have my safety strap looped around one of the front two gas tank mounts (unscrewed the screws, looped it around, screwed it back). I shortened it so that I can tuck it between the frame and the tank in the slot where you can see the coil/wires, just pull it out when I need to clip it on. I'll second what everyone's said about how much of a PITA a tank bag can be when refueling.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I loop the strap onto the middle of the handlebar (dead center) and run the strap over the top of the bag. This way I can easily verify it's connected before I go and also makes it easy to remove bag and take with me.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
nice suggestion by ssky i like it. what i meant by headstock is the part under the fuel tank where the frame tapers to meet the steering. i pass the strap of the tankbag in front of the two small bolts that hold the tank in place.

i found a pic on google to show you the headstock