Best [non motorcycle] GPS unit for a motorcycle?

strongmaterial

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my iPhone4 as my GPS. I also have a RAM mount on my handlebar. I have done any hardwiring yet as the phone can usually keep its charge the whole day. But I saw one option before where you can use a 13.8V to USB (5V) converter. I might look into that some time in the future. Since my iPhone5 is coming in tomorrow, I might need to find a new RAM mount for it.:D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Chiming in on my latest experience with Garmin. I now use Nuvi 2455. This unit allows custom routes. They've changed the name to trips (and have an app on the unit called Trip Planner).

It gives me ability to create a route in BaseCamp (free software from Garmin) and move the route to Nuvi. This is exactly what you would have to use and do with Zumo.

Really the only difference between this unit and Zumo is that it's not weather-proof and it will not give you voice prompts via bluetooth. It's way cheaper than Zumo though.

BaseCamp is far from intuitive and it's very temperamental, as is Garmin itself (all of the newer units seem to suck in one way or another), BUT.. this seems to be the best current way to plan a route and follow it, at the moment.

There's Copilot app for phones, which is pretty damn good and cheap, but you have to do route planning on phone screen... PITA.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use my iPhone4 as my GPS. I also have a RAM mount on my handlebar. I have done any hardwiring yet as the phone can usually keep its charge the whole day. But I saw one option before where you can use a 13.8V to USB (5V) converter. I might look into that some time in the future. Since my iPhone5 is coming in tomorrow, I might need to find a new RAM mount for it.:D

Yup.. I have this little thingy.. works just fine with my phone: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-Universal-Micro-Colors/dp/B0042B9U8Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350676495&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+usb]Amazon.com: Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro Colors May Vary: MP3 Players & Accessories[/ame]

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if things have changed, but it used to be that if you powered a Garmin from a USB power supply you had to use a special cable in order to be able to navigate while externally powered. Seemingly Garmin uses the unused pin 5 in the Mini USB connector to let the unit know that it is being powered externally and not just connected to a computer.

I bought a Garmin cable from 3br when I bought my powered USB socket.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if things have changed, but it used to be that if you powered a Garmin from a USB power supply you had to use a special cable in order to be able to navigate while externally powered. Seemingly Garmin uses the unused pin 5 in the Mini USB connector to let the unit know that it is being powered externally and not just connected to a computer.

I bought a Garmin cable from 3br when I bought my powered USB socket.

Yeah, entirely possible. I use USB 12v adapter only for the phone. For Garmin, I use a dedicated cable: Direct Wire 12-30V DC Hardwire Pigtail Cable for Garmin Nuvi

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
The Nuvi 2455 looks to be the best bargan for me.:rockon:

For what it's worth, I played around with the Nuvi 2455 and am not a fan. You CAN transfer routes from a computer to the device (see Eric's directions below). Although I'm still not a fan of the BaseCamp software. For me, I'm going to stick with my phone GPS for point-to-point navigation and go analog/memory for moto routes.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to do so using their BaseCamp software is not fun either.

Agree 100%. It's an evil peace of software! However, if you DO figure out how to use it, you can create routes via BaseCamp and transfer them directly to 2455. Not just the points, but complete routes.

There IS still an issue though.. nuvi will STILL calculate the route, even though it's been saved.

It worked very well, yesterday.. until it stopped charging and shut off :rof:

but we ended up finding that awesome road because of that!!

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree 100%. It's an evil peace of software! However, if you DO figure out how to use it, you can create routes via BaseCamp and transfer them directly to 2455. Not just the points, but complete routes.

Really? I must not have played around with it enough. Can you point me to where I could find that in the manual or list the general steps? What I did was, in BaseCamp, add waypoints, associate waypoints to new route and drag waypoints and route to device's internal storage. When I went to the device, I did not find the route in Trip Planner. Am I doing something wrong?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really? I must not have played around with it enough. Can you point me to where I could find that in the manual or list the general steps? What I did was, in BaseCamp, add waypoints, associate waypoints to new route and drag waypoints and route to device's internal storage. When I went to the device, I did not find the route in Trip Planner. Am I doing something wrong?

Connect Nuvi and load BaseCamp. You should see your "collection" (that's what lives on your computer) and under that Nuvi (and whatever is saved on it).

Notice BearMtn in my collection. It has all the necessary points and the 2 routes. Right-click on BearMtn folder and "Send To.." select "Internal Storage" under Nuvi and you should see routes in Trip Planner, after you unplug Nuvi and start it up.

bc1cx.jpg

bc2k.jpg

nuvil.jpg

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't believe no one has mentioned the old Garmin Streetpilot series (2610/2620/2720/2820, etc). These were Garmin's motorcycle gps's before the Zumo's came out. Garmin even sells a hardwired connector and handlebar mount.

They're rugged, waterproof, bomb proof, and best of all cheap! A 2720 can be found on ebay/craigslist for around $50 if you look around. Ram mount is around $20 and the Garmin power cable is around the same. $100 and you have an awesome, fully functional, motorcycle gps.

Trust me when I say you're not missing any features compared to the newer Garmin's. These have all the features you would want; uploadable routes, custom POI's, track logging, always on compass (big deal for me), latest maps when updated. In fact, I actually like the UI a lot more on these compared to the newer Garmin's. The new one's just feel way too dumbed down.

A few years back, my 2720 died on a roadtrip. I ended up ordering a Zumo 660 to use. The 660, despite costing ~$750, offered zero real additional features compared to my prehistoric 2720. The main advantages are the brighter, bigger screen. Otherwise, it didn't do anything that my 2720 couldn't. When I got home, I sold the 660, and bought a 2820. When the 2820 died, I bought another 2720.

It'll be a sad day when I can't get another Streetpilot

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now you all have me really confused. I probably will use my android phone if I get lost. It hasen't happened yet so I will keep my fingers crossed. Murphys law I will get lost tomorrow right? :spank:

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have a GPS on the handlebar but I found it distracting. Now I use an iPad and a GPS app (directU) with a downloadable map that I can use offline. Of course I have to stop to check the map, but mostly that's not a problem. The iPad screen also makes route planning very easy.

wut?! u have a freaken ipad stuck to ur handle bars?!?! wtf?