philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Folks,

Haven't posted in awhile, but I recently installed the following mods:

SW-Motech rear rack with Givi Monolock adapter plate
Givi E340 topcase

All I can say is that this is one of the best mods I have done in a long time - whenever I would go on group rides, I found myself admiring the utilitarian aspect of having a topcase. At minimum, it's really nice to have a place to hold your helmet when you're off the bike. For me, I got tired of carrying a backpack, and I wanted to be able to take a trip or run to the store and have a place to put stuff.

At first, I was on the fence about the looks of the Givi case. However, it has grown on me, and the SW-Motech rack looks great with the case detached.

As for the rack fitment, SW-Motech makes an excellent product - I only had to massage two mounting holes on the right side (they were a smidge off). Also, I had to clean some weld snot out of one of the rear mounting holes. Otherwise, the rack was a bolt on affair.

For those who have aftermarket exhaust cans, the rack fit fine with my Leo's - SW-Motech uses two threaded aluminum plugs that press into the tubes of the tail section. Now, for the sake of disclosure, I installed some shorter spacers between the muffler mounting bracket and the clamps that wrap around the mufflers. The original spacers are approximately 7/8" long, and the ones I installed were 3/8 long. This did not affect the spacing or fitment of the cans - it simply made more clearance between the heads of the bolts that hold the mufflers and the rear mounting bolts for the rack.

Lastly, you will have to trim the plastic shroud around the mufflers so the rack will clear - you can just about see this in the photo.

Here's the finished product!

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not put a topcase on Fizzer, but this summer I did on my BMW. While making mounting/dismounting a tad more complicated, it was highly worthwhile. It'll hold my new Schuberth helmet (without a D ring, it was hard to lock down otherwise), a 12-pack of beer, or groceries. So damn useful!
Fizzer is now pretty much my "let's get frisky and maybe a ticket" bike, so a topcase isn't really necessary there; but, if it were still my only bike, I'd definitely spring for one. :thumbup:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I too have a big ugly Givi top case on my FZ6, mounted on the cool Yamaha tail rack. I really don't like how the bike looks with that big ugly box on there, but I love the functionality, so I rarely remove it.

I mainly commute on my FZ6, and my big laptop bag fits completely in the top case. And, after removing my laptop bag, my full-face helmet and gloves fit in there, along with a jacket liner and other stuff that I keep in there while I'm at work.

I just wish it wasn't so ugly.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
My hubbie mounted 2 Givi saddlebags on my FZ6. I love them for commuting to work and for multi-night over night trips. Not a big fan of the trunk. Hubbie has one on his VFR and loves it. Just not my look. My FZ looks pretty good with the bags on or off. We got a smaller size (21 liter each) so I am not too worried when splitting lanes in CA after MotoGP race. heehee. It's amazing how much stuff I can get packed into those bags. We usually put in two bike covers and 2 brake caliper locks as well as all my personal items when we take up to 3 day over night trips. Pretty good for a women, eh?