Best grips to help with hand numbness

wolf4u2c

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, Am looking for a good grip to replace the OEM on my Fz6 and help with some numbness I keep getting in my right hand. I heard Progrip makes a good grip 699 and 714. Anyone else find a good grip that work well. Any help would be great.:thumbup:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i recommend the stock bmw grips. very comfy. haven't tried grip puppies before though, so not able to give a comparision.

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
Meh.. you shouldn't always look to 'fix' problems that aren't the bikes fault.. try loosening your grip. Worked for me and .. it's free! :thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very true.. the "death grip" was one of my problems and over time i learned that it was ok to be lighter on the grip..

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just remember if you get grip puppies, dont use the dish soap method to put them on... roll them inside out (kinda like a condom) and then unroll them on the grip.. very very simple.. and yea, they make the grip a bit wider, but its way more comfy...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just remember if you get grip puppies, dont use the dish soap method to put them on... roll them inside out (kinda like a condom) and then unroll them on the grip.. very very simple.. and yea, they make the grip a bit wider, but its way more comfy...
Thanks for the tip. I went the soap route when I installed mine in '07, and my thumbs were sore for days. They've put up with wear, salt and sunshine rather admirably (24,000 miles) but I noticed a half-inch tear in one of them, will be soon when I have to replace them (still a lot cheaper than another pair of tires!) :D

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Grip puppies.

I had the same soreness until I got them - I think it stems from the small diameter of the stock grips (at least for me, I don't death grip the bars).

A month ago the clutch side one got a tear in it (2 years of use). Ripped them both off before a 1500 mile trip and regretted it very much...soreness came back within an hour on the road...ordered another pair as soon as I got back. You can't beat the price or ease of installation compared to changing the grips themselves.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yea even mine could stand to be replaced.. besides, i noticed my throttle sticking a bit the other day, rolled back a little of the grip puppy and saw some rust.. typical, but will be a good time to lube up the throttle.. and like others said, they are cheap...

Mr_McBride

The Cartographer
Reaction score
Visit site
if your interested in leaving the current grips on, grip puppies work awsome..

I've tried several different types including the all foam types.

The combination that I have found that works best for me is progrip 714 with grip puppies. :thumbup:

hope this helps...

Mr_McBride

The Cartographer
Reaction score
Visit site
grips and grip puppies.. ill have to look into those progrip 714... where did you find them???

Corrected. The Progrips I have are the 719's.

progrip 719 - I bought mine at a local cycle gear but I don't see these on their site anymore.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/4503/ITEM/Pro-Grip-719-RVGS-Open-End-Gel-Grip.aspx

grip puppies:
GRIP PUPPIES ™ Small. (1 Pair) Pick First Class Mail for Free Shipping. - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.

This will make your grip diameter larger, but I like this as it allows a more relaxed grip. You don't have to curl your fingers as much. If your gloves fit tight this puts more pressure on your fingers and can reduce circulation, which sometimes contributes to the numbness.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Mr_McBride

The Cartographer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, Am looking for a good grip to replace the OEM on my Fz6 and help with some numbness I keep getting in my right hand. I heard Progrip makes a good grip 699 and 714. Anyone else find a good grip that work well. Any help would be great.:thumbup:

+1 on Grip puppies. No matter what grip you run under them. If mine wear out, I'll order a new pair the same day.

Last edited:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I never had much of a problem, but I would get tired after long (especially traffic ridden) trips. I just swapped out for some Show Chrome heated grips and they are very very fat (compared to the previous set) its like a whole new bike... seriously ride changing experience and the toasty palms cant hurt...