Best deal on Contour (video camera) I've seen to date

Toast

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
$179.00 through Amazon right now.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QGSYZ4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_csp?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06R41NGW4CKFHWETV3RD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: ContourHD Camera: Camera & Photo[/ame]

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard the ContourHD isn't great at minimizing wind noise... that the audio is basically useless at speed. Any experience with that? I would think you could maybe cut up a foam earplug and tape it over the mic to insulate it from the wind a bit.

Also, how does it handle bugs? Do you get a lot of impacts with it mounted on the side of the helmet?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard the ContourHD isn't great at minimizing wind noise... that the audio is basically useless at speed. Any experience with that? I would think you could maybe cut up a foam earplug and tape it over the mic to insulate it from the wind a bit.

Also, how does it handle bugs? Do you get a lot of impacts with it mounted on the side of the helmet?

Yes, audio is pretty bad at speed if you have it pointing forward. I put a small piece of tape over mine and it helps quite a bit, but it's best to have it sit behind the screen or point it backwards. This is why the next version has external mic jack.
You can also control mic gain via text file settings, but really you have to drop it to the point where there's basically no sound to get rid of wind noise.

Have not had any issues with bugs :don'tknow:

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I still highly recommend the GoPro Motorsport HD. It has fantastic image stablization, changable audio settings on internal menu. Comes in water proof casing and a number of differnt mounting options. Not to mention the fact that it is about a 170 degree wide angle. I have been shooting and ediing commercial content as well as other features for TV for 16 years, and I have used the GoPro for a couple of my "professional" projects.

Good Luck....it is really awesome to see these cameras available at a consumer level.