Best/Cheapest Seat

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been taking the bike out on long 'around town' trips lately and the stock seat is killing my butt. Plus it kind of shoves my 'stuff' into the tank. Not a good feeling after a couple hours of riding. I did almost 200 miles yesterday, which is the longest I've ridden in one day, and I'm still sore today. I'm thinking of taking my first bike trip in a couple months, so I'm seriously looking for a seat upgrade or alternative. Love the looks of the Top Sellerie & Corbin seats, but don't want to have to spend 400 bucks or more. What do you all think of the Airhawk or sheepskin cushions? What do you all use for long trips?

Pranqster

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
"Best" and "cheapest" are pretty much the exact opposite of one another. you have to pick which one you want. On long Rides I wear my Cycling shorts under my pants, they have built in padding where it counts!:thumbup:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Consider sending it off to Sargent, you can have them do a little or a lot, recover it, and send it back.

Seems like the best deal around, most of the cost savings is from using your original seat pan and hardware.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Yamaha comfort seat it's much more firm making you think that it would be less comfortable but it's also shaped differently it's more of an upside down u and contours to your crotch much better unlike the stock which is a flat top and makes two pinch points on your inner thighs, my assumption the cheapest way would be DIY where you shave the seat and make it tilt back and thinner as to not pinch you main leg arteries their are a few threads on how to do this takes a little effort but savings and rewards are much higher and it doesn't work or you don't like it you can still send it in ;) just some stuff I learned while researching the same question.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Search the Spencer's seat mod. I plan to do it soon and lots of others have done it and love it:thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Spencer seat mod.

I rode to 3 cities in Canada in 2011, over 1800 miles in a 9 day span. Glad I did this mod. It will cost only $50 to mod the driver portion of the seat. If you go for the Supracore, that is $25 more (I did). You also pay for round trip shipping. All in all about $110 depending on how close you live to Florida (shipping cost).

You won't get the cushiness of the Top Sellerie seat but you will get a more comfortable than stock, carved-out seat. Honestly, when I do the Dragon trip in September I am bringing the Spencer seat and leaving the Top Sellerie seat home. IMO it is better for the really long rides.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips everyone! I realize cheap and best aren't used in the same sentence often, but there's usually a some ways around buying the most expensive products.

The idea of biker shorts with padding under my pants is a great idea. I may do that and a sheepskin cushion.

How long does the spencer mod take? It does look like a great deal!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
How long does the spencer mod take? It does look like a great deal!

He will turn the seat around in approx. 24 hours. Shipping both ways takes much longer than the actual work. Go to the website and read the FAQ. Most questions will be answered and if not, send this guy an email. He usually responds within a couple hours

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I met Spencer at his home in Florida about 6 years ago. Nice guy. Does really nice work but for me the seat that he did for my KLR was much better than stock but not enough for me. Don't get me wrong but, the FZ6 seat may come out totally different.