Ben Spies to leave Yamaha MotoGP team

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where is he going? That remains to be seen. Maybe WSBK or AMA? Or stay in MotoGP somewhere?

Yesterday I made a comment on Twitter to cause a stir. (Today) I'll be more in saying that I have chosen to leave Yamaha after this season for a litany of reasons. I will explain more when I feel it is appropriate. I'm discussing my situation with my sponsors and they are behind me. There are a few people at Yamaha who I hate to leave. And they know who they are. I wish Yamaha the best. I won't make any further comments until the offical announcement comes out.

Ben Spies to leave Yamaha MotoGP team | Page 1 | MotoGP News | Jul 2012 | Crash.Net

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can hold no ill will towards this man. Lol

Godspeed Señor Spies. I'm sure you've got some valid reasons for doing this to us.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think he was gone either way...Kind of funny after Dovi's rant of late...should be interesting to see what plays out.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
So, where's he going? Maybe Yamaha is coming back to WSB. Erik Buell has mentioned maybe giving WSB a go. How about Colin and Ben on an EBR is WSB? Or, Suzuki is rumored to be coming back to MotoGP. Ben said he was going back to where he belongs. Hmmmm! You gotta love the "Silly Season".:thumbup:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm betting back to WSBK. However, one wonders if it will be with Yamaha because I kind of doubt it based on his quote (on SuperbikePlanet.com):

"Spies said via email this morning:

Yesterday I made a comment on Twitter to cause a stir. (Today) I'll be more in saying that I have chosen to leave Yamaha after this season for a litany of reasons. I will explain more when I feel it is appropriate. I'm discussing my situation with my sponsors and they are behind me. There are a few people at Yamaha who I hate to leave. And they know who they are. I wish Yamaha the best. I won't make any further comments until the offical announcement comes out.
"

Soup :: Spies: I Have Chosen To Leave Yamaha At the End of the Season :: 07-24-2012

All that "leaving Yamaha" and "people at Yamaha who I hate to leave" talk makes me think, he's not just going from MotoGP Yamaha back to a Yamaha squad - factory or otherwise - in WSBK.

Will Suzuki have him back? After all those AMA championships, I'd bet you a dollar they'd LOVE to get his azz back on a 'Zuk in World Superbike.

Poor Hopkins, speaking of. That guy can't buy an injury-free season.

EDIT: MG-242 may be on to something!

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
I like the guy; have a soft spot for WSBK riders in MotoGP. But me thinks this is a case of jumping before he was pushed...

Cal Crutchlow to Yamaha Factory team!!! C'mon! :cheer:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's going to be good to see Vale in blue again....

Do you seriously think he is going to go back there , play second fiddle to Whore-Gay & get himself pantsed , flogged , whipped & beaten AGAIN !!! :shakehead:

Well when I read this it looks like there are rumours in the Yamaha camp:
motogp.com · "Yamaha CEO" Lorenzo on Spies leaving and Rossi as a teammate

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-racing-news-moto-gp/lorenzo-would-welcome-rossi-return/21081.html

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you seriously think he is going to go back there , play second fiddle to Whore-Gay & get himself pantsed , flogged , whipped & beaten AGAIN !!! :shakehead:

Wait and see. Vale developed the bike, JL said he has no problem with it and VR desperately needs something competitive. For Yamaha it is a win-win, they would have the most marketable name in motorcycle racing AND if anything this would make JL even more focused on performing.