Bell RS-1: Agressive, Sport Touring, or All Around?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm researching a new helmet to upgrade from a Scorpion EXO 400. Right now I'm partial to Bell's RS-1. But it seems to be marketed (and per Anthony's review on Revzilla) to more of a track and agressive rider than someone who commutes and does some longer rides - planning on more long rides. I'm looking for quiet, comfort, and good ventilation. The phototransitions shield would be sweet, too.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/rs-1/#

Anybody have any experience with this helmet, particularly about whether if flows well and is stable in more of an upright, less of a tuck position? I'm aware that as a race fit design, the cheek pads are supposed to be tight, but I'm not likely to mind so long as it stays ventilated.

Chris

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as air flow goes. its meant for a more upright position than a race helmet. in the video he refers to it as a "race fit" which is just how tight the cheek pads are. this means its safer but your mouth will hurt if you try to talk to much with the helmet on, or you might bite your cheeks a bit... Ive also heard its a bit loud of a helmet, but would still be much quieter than your EXO400.

I looked into getting one, but bought an Arai RX-Q ultimately. I definitely think it was worth the extra $150 over the Bell. Just a better place for my head to be.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, about a month ago I visited Iron Pony, a large vendor in Columbus, and purchased a Shoei RF-1200. The sales guy suggested I check the Shoei when I said I wanted a quiet helmet.

Through the first several hundred miles I am very happy with it. Great fit, excellent venting, no drag even when doing a head check, and very quiet - except for noise at hwy speeds that comes from near the neck strap. I don't notice any noise from the shield area or vents. Will eventually see if i can block the gap by the strap with something. I ordered the transitions photo shield. Still on back order.:shakehead:

Now I know why so many people buy the Shoei.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Shoei may have something for that issue. As your dealer or peak into the shoei site to see it they make something. I know there are aftermarket products but aren't shoei.

Colour is?