Beartooth Highway/Chief Joseph Scenic Bypass/Lolo Pas

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And....The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, again.

First night was Teton Village Wyoming. A ski resort, similar to Whister, Park City or Sun Valley. The Hotel Terra, which is in the background had heated tiles in the bathroom!

null_zps778b5f89.jpg

Grand Teton National Park. If you pay to go through either Yellowstone or the Tetons, it's good for both parks.

null_zpsbc6465ee.jpg

I've now ridden and entered or exited through all of the Yellowstone entrances, except the north. I have found that the east entrance is the best. The road meanders along the massive Yellowstone Lake and the road leading to the park from Cody Wy was awsome.

null_zpsa99141aa.jpg

Lunch in Cody Wy. When in doubt, eat where the most motorcycles are parked. The historic Irma Building.

null_zpsfe15ce88.jpg

The famous Cherrywood Bar.
null_zps0cdd644c.jpg

The ambiance in the dining room was incredible.

null_zps35cbd101.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I ranked the Rattlesnake Grade (Oregon Highway 3 - Washington Highway 129) as my # 1 road. Not anymore, the Chief Joseph Scenic Bypass coupled with the Beartooth Highway that goes up to 12,000 feet is now 1 on my list. It was weird riding above the timberline, where there were no trees.

null_zpsdd191b96.jpg

null_zps0f999092.jpg

null_zpsed9d930e.jpg

null_zps34bf86f7.jpg

After spending the night in Bozeman Mt. From Anaconda Mt I headed South and went through the small town of Wisdom Mt taking Mt. Highway 43 that took me to the Big Hole National Battlefied.

Thanks to Al's Cycle in Hamilton Mt for tightening my chain. I ride into Al's Cycle and they got me rolling in 15 minutes.

null_zpsda96e594.jpg

Lunch in Lolo Mt at Kt's Hayloft.

null_zps327e9d7f.jpg

Lolo Pass. I preferred the Montana side where the speed limit was 70 mph, and it was quite challenging to actually ride 70 around some of the corners. It was reduced to 50 or 55 on the Idaho side.

null_zpseae700cd.jpg

This took me through the Northwest Passage Scenic Highway via Id. Hwy 13, another great road. Stopped in Mcall for dinner at Steamers.

null_zpsa994bb63.jpg

Steamers for dinner.

null_zps10bd29c1.jpg

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome stuff, Kenny! I hope to visit Jackson Hole one of these days.. when there's plenty of snow.. with my snowboard :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:( :( :(

For those of you who don't know, Kenny graciously invited me on this trip, and I was really looking forward to it (I've only been on the Beartooth once, in '95, in a blizzard on bald tires, and was scared for my life!). I'm a federal guv'mint worker, and with the sequester/furlough I have alternating 3- and 4-day weekends from now until end of September.
A week ago I rode to my shop in SLC to get new tires spooned on, and learned that my new (to me) BMW was missing two critical frame bolts. Finally got "Pig" back this last Saturday afternoon, but missed the trip. :(
A big THANKS to Kenny for the Invite, the Photos, and the anticipation to do this soon! :rockon:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Beautiful place, I just loved it up there. Sorry Botch didn't make the ride with you

And I have this same picture in one of my albums! >>>> :cheer:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We can hit it again next year. I'll have my new Multistrada by then, it will match up better with your GS1200.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you go again next year, I have heard that the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is worth the visit, but it takes some time to go thru.

It usually takes me only about 10-15 minutes to go through a museum. The trick is to just look, not read.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It usually takes me only about 10-15 minutes to go through a museum. The trick is to just look, not read.

When I was a kid my friends used to be amazed at how fast I could read a Playboy magazine....:eek::rolleyes::D

Incredible pictures Kenny. Thanks for sharing and it was so good for Lisa and I to meet up with you and hang out for a while when you were here.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics, Kenny! It looks like it was a fun trip:thumbup:
In a couple more years I'll have all the time I need for trips like that.