battery drainage issue

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so for whatever battery is not holding enough charge to start.. i can bump start ..been dooing it now for 3 days..I had recently tried to change over to led turn signals on front .. cut the oem turn signal wire and wired in the led but the flash rate wasnt right.. so i need the relay for leds.. but dont have one so I just wired the oem signal back in.. rode it for about 2 weeks like that..and now this problem.. it seems there is something draining the battery..also the rear running light doesnt come on,brake light yes..
2007 fz6

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you installed the LED's in the front you didn't use one of the wires on each side. What did you do with them? If you shorted them you may have blown the running light fuse. The front OEM stalk lights have a running light and turn signal filament. The rear OEM stalks only have turn signal.
Your battery may be bad. Charge it fully and have it load tested.

If you're bump starting your bike you need to ride it with rpm above 2k RPM to charge the battery. Not for 15 minute either, go for a long ride... If you're trying to charge it at idle or fora short period it won't charge correctly.

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply..I thought I had it figured out..went ahead and soldered back where I cut the original oem turn signal wire..because it seemed like when I touched it, the lights would dim..but even after soldering now when Im in traffic, and it gets hot the lights start dimming..and it still wont star after I turn it off.. I have to push start it..and thats after riding it for at least an hour..and Im way above 2k rpm..
is it possible I shorted something(voltage regulator) when the turn signal wires pulled loose where i had twisted them together..(before i had them soldered)

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
forgot to mention I had the battery checked at oreillys and it read 12.13 volts after taking it off..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay. you need to have the battery load tested. You can still have a bad battery that will read 12 volts. My battery on my bike reads 13.2 volts when fully charged but after sitting for a week it drops to 12.8. The important part is the depth of charge of the battery. Plus or minus 1 volt isn't that important.

Our bikes use a shunt regulator and there could be a number of things causing your problem. If you do end up jumping the bike from a car never jump it with the car running. That can toast your shunt regulator.

You may have to find a tech or a friend that can help you sort it out.
Have you had the battery load tested?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay. you need to have the battery load tested. You can still have a bad battery that will read 12 volts. My battery on my bike reads 13.2 volts when fully charged but after sitting for a week it drops to 12.8. The important part is the depth of charge of the battery. Plus or minus 1 volt isn't that important.

Our bikes use a shunt regulator and there could be a number of things causing your problem. If you do end up jumping the bike from a car never jump it with the car running. That can toast your shunt regulator.

You may have to find a tech or a friend that can help you sort it out.
Have you had the battery load tested?

+1 on what Cliff posted.

Sounds like the battery is bad.

If you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage, then crank the bike WITH THE VOLTMETER CONNECTED. I'd put my money the voltage drops to 4-5 volts...(an easy in house load test).

BTW, had a similar problem on a friends VT1100, even with a brand new "Bikemaster" battery. Showed 12 volts, cranked it, dropped to 4 volts, click, click. Jump start it from a non running truck, cranked right up and ran good. Let it run for a little bit, turned it off, the battery was dead again.

Last edited:

koolcat

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
it took a few hours , but the battery finally charged back up.. the problem was where I twisted the wire together.. it wasn't strong enough , it worked it's way loose and was draining the battery..
Now my only problem is the rear running lights.. I've got blinkers and brake lights but they don't light up otherwise..they should right?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The front OEM stalk lights have a running light and turn signal filament. The rear OEM stalks only have turn signal.

Last edited:

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
the problem was where I twisted the wire together.. it wasn't strong enough

Get a soldering iron. Seriously, why do a hack job that will eventually "work its way loose" again?

Sorry dude, I just hate seeing people do mean things to a fizzer...Twisting wires together is garbage :spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The front OEM stalk lights have a running light and turn signal filament. The rear OEM stalks only have turn signal.

Yup! 3 wires per stalk in the front, 2 wires per stalk on the rear.
If you improperly wire or short the running lights wires in the front the fuse blows for the running light system and I believe if the running lights fail the directional system also stops working. This tells the rider there is a problem. "Hey how come I don't have directional?" :confused:" Hey! I don't have running lights!" :confused:Yup! :Flash: