Basement Flooded!

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
So, my basement flooded on Friday the 10th. I was doing a couple of loads of laundry and on the second load the hose on the back of the washing machine slipped off.....good times. Of course I was not there to notice it right away as I was on the top floor when it happen. I noticed it when I was going downstairs to warm up my coffee and I heard a sound.

Almost right away the light turned on in my head saying "Oh, $*#@!" Ran down stairs to a flooded (not that bad maybe 1 inch) basement. Found the source a and turned off the washer. must have been going for at least 30 minutes, hard to judge.

I unplugged everything I could and ran out the door to home depot near by and picked up a shop vac while calling my insurance company (USAA, great people). I sucked up what I could then about an hour later the workers showed an did the rest.

The most annoying part was that I was to leave the next day for my two week Annual Training with the Army! I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get a few days to get thing in order at home(long annoying story I will not bother you all with)

After all is said and done I am making out. I am getting a new floor and bar at the low cost of just my deductible. I think I will through some of my own money at it to upgrade to some ceramic tile and make my dry bar a wet bar.

Anything done to my basement would be an upgrade. I had the old orange shag carpet and the bar looked like a home project gone wrong.

At this point I am back home and just can't wait to start this rebuild.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry that happened.

This is why I will never carpet my basement...all the plumbing for the house is in the basement ceiling...so many possible broken pipes! We also have ground water problems here in the mid-atlantic...you must have a newer house that actually has moisture barrier under the basement slab. My basement is too humid in the spring for anything made of fabric to be down there or it will mold. I've been doing some grading and drain tile installing to try to lessen the issue. At least your problem is easy to fix...turn off the water. I can't turn off the rain. :D

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I know I lucked out on it. It could have been much worse. My house was made in 84 so I am it has some type of barrier. What I was worried about was my neighbors. I live in a townhouse so I was unsure if the cement blocks were going to protect my neighbors basements. See as thought it did