Backfire when engine braking

DrastiK

Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed not too long ago that the bike tends to backfire during high rpm engine braking. Not necessarily if I roll off the throttle but mainly when drop it down to 2nd gear to make my way to a stop.

Anyone else hear this? If not I guess I'll have to check the air intake system for leaks and change the spark plugs since I'm already due for those.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Has the bike been tuned? If not that will get rid of 80% of it. Or you could do the co adjustment and that will help a little bit.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
with an aftermarket exhaust it's fairly normal to make popping sounds, especially when engine breaking down hill, just enjoy it :D

it's it's properly backfiring then maybe there's another issue

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock exhaust will backfire as well as aftermarket, just a lot less noticeable. This is fairly common on all bikes that I have seen when decelerating from higher revs.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say backfiring do you mean popping back at the intake or popping in the exhaust? Popping back in the exhaust is deceleration popping which can occur from O2 being introduced which when added to hot unburnt fuel in the exhaust, which can ignite causing the pop. It is very common and can sometimes be reduced by proper tuning or eliminating O2 introduction during deceleration.

The pop is very often present but not noticed much with a stock exhaust but more prevalent when installing aftermarket exhaust.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This happens with just about every internal combustion ever made. Just not as noticeable with lean engines and good exhaust.

Sometimes it's more extreme.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zModv1bdmjs&nofeather=True]800HP supra flames - YouTube[/ame]