Back in Black (from accounting standpoint)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
... well, almost.

So I disappeared from the forum few a months ago, reason being my general feeling down and stressed because of my unemployment. I lost my job last October, and while I was able to do some consulting on the side it wasnt enough to keep things going. It took me 10 months to find a job, and those were the most stressful months in my life so far. I'm generally positive and don't let small stuff get to me, but around month 6, all of that optimism went out of the window. Financial problems brought about stress, and that spilled over into personal life.

Throughout all this time my fiancee supported me and showed me once more what a loving and caring person she is. Unfortunately, I haven't been my best self and we almost broke up not too long ago (ironically, just as I was about to start my new job). We worked through it (another reason why appreciate my fiancee - after dust settles, she's willing to sit down and work through issues), and we are not better, but of course, it will take time to recover fully.

Last December we adopted a puppy, figuring that since i'm at home, I may as well house train her. She grew quickly (though she wasnt a big dog), and we loved her, but in June she ran out on the street and got hit by a car and we had to put her down :( It was tough, especially considering that we werent there to say goodbye (we took off to Yellowstone for a week and this happened at my parents' house). :(

Trying to get over the loss, we adopted another puppy - Rhes - in June. She's a shepherd/husky mix and has waaay too much energy. Oh, yeah, she's teething now. Those of you with dogs know what that means.;)

Well, I'm back now. Working in mid-town Manhattan in a rapidly growing startup, doing what I love, with a great bunch of people. Long hours, rapidly changing environment, but this is why I love it. :D

One of the major changes coming down the pipeline is that we decided to move to New York City. :eek: I've been resisting the move for many reasons including but not limited to noise levels, accessibility of hiking and firearm laws - I've been commuting from CT to NYC for the past 7 years, and while it was ok while I was single, it doesnt work when you are with someone and pretty much don't see them during the week. Even more importantly, my fiancee is working in the city as well, all the way down at the tip of Manhattan, so the commute has been hard on her. We even considered moving closer to the city while still staying in CT, but the reality is that with our work schedule we'll be home after 7 and need to get up at 4:30 am, so we dont get to spend time as a family. So we decided to move to the city for a few years and see what happens then. It ain't gonna be pretty (moving from 1800 sq ft to 500, selling cars (The MiG STAYS!!!!), living with a dog in the city, for example), but we'll manage. Being back to my optimistic self, I'll try to take advantage of city, with all its museums and galleries and operas.

It will take me time to recover from these past 10 months financially, and even in terms of our relationship, but I learned a few things on the way and got ever more confident that I made the right choice when I proposed to my fiancee. Just wanted to share this experience and that I'm BACK! And most likely closer to LI and NJ/PA for group rides!:rockon:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
glad to hear things are getting better. I remember not to long ago when i was out for a whole year and how much that sucked... everyone thinks having all that time off is great, but not when you are in the middle of doing "life" things.. good luck on your new job!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to see you getting back on top of things, also kudos to your fiancé for being with you through the thick of it.
Good luck with the future.
Neil

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your pain. I got laid off in January and didn't get a job until last month. Had to sell one of my bikes just to get by. now that I'm working again, I picked up a Fz6 and couldn't be happier. Always keep your head up and focus on the good things you got going on...that's what got me through it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic to hear you're making a comeback, Tim! I've had several friends who've lost jobs and were unemployed for many months (1.5 years for one :O ) and they've all gone through what you described stress and eventual loss of positive outlook. Happy to say all have bounced back!!

Also have a close friend who used to live in the burbs and then moved to NYC. He didn't want to at all.. did it because his wife was all for it. They've been in the city for about 7 years now and they both absolutely love it! The whole not needing a car thing is actually pretty damn cool.. and all the amazing restaurants within walking distance.. tough to beat.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AAAAAND, I officially moved to Upper East Side this past weekend. Moving my bike here next Sat/Sun. So much stuff to do it's not even funny. Here something I noticed about motorcycles parked around my neighborhood - not one of them has new york license plates! Colorado, Arizona, Vermont. Anybody knows what's up with that?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AAAAAND, I officially moved to Upper East Side this past weekend. Moving my bike here next Sat/Sun. So much stuff to do it's not even funny. Here something I noticed about motorcycles parked around my neighborhood - not one of them has new york license plates! Colorado, Arizona, Vermont. Anybody knows what's up with that?

Congrats on the move!! No idea about out-of-state bikes, but hope to see you more often now that you're so close :thumbup: