Automobile VS Motorcycle oil

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day,

I'm using Castrol Edge 10W60 Full Synth in my FZ 08' since 08'.
Yesterday my chum told me to only use JASO MA1.

I've had no isses on the clutch and can't find any rants on the forum.

Lots of arguments online though :D

Please advise, as power and engine longevity is a priority for me.

Thanks

S

Shamus McFeeley

People tend to think of "car oil" and "motorcycle oil" as two separate things. Oil is oil, what separates one from the other is the additive package and/or the refining process used on it, and the base stock it is refined from. The danger in using an oil that is formulated for a common passenger car is that it will contain molybdenum products which will attack the fiber material in your clutch plates. Usually oils that have a JASO-MA certification have been tested to work with motorcycles, but that does not mean that just because an oil does not have a JASO-MA certification, you can not use it. It is more important that your oil does not contain an "energy conserving" rating on its API label. Most 10-30s have this rating I believe as well as the newer 5-20 that Hondas use. Oil is always a subjective thing, many people will have a broad spectrum of opinions. Castrol is a high quality oil, I don't think you should see any problem with it.

About halfway down this page you'll see a good description of the different service grades, and the difference between JASO and API:
Wiki Link

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I will use "motorcycle oil" the next service, its cheaper than the car oil I am using now anyway.

Just wondering, the service manual states:

Recommended engine oil grade:
API service SG type or higher, JASO
standard MA

Does that mean that I can use API SG or higher, or JASO MA, or must it fall under both standards? The oil I am using now is API SL which is fine apparently. (Should not be SJ)