Australian parts

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went into my local dealer today to pick up a couple of bolts/etc that have shaken themselves loose ... couple bucks for a bolt, couple of bucks for a screw... and $15 for a collar? I balked a bit but I needed it so what the hell.

Now in future, I don't particularly want to spend $15 on something people in USA can buy for $2 via Ron Ayers or other vendors... the MSRP for the part was $3USD... seriously.

This **** gets right up my nose. It's not as tho my local store even had any stock, so sod convenience as an excuse... they have to get it shipped in from Sydney... ... ...

I figure, what the hell, I'll just buy a few of each so I have some readily available... when really I can buy a bunch for the same price as one collar in Au... except Ron Ayers only lets you sign up in USA/Canada? :confused:

TLDR: Do we have any local (or international parts places) that ship to us in aus, for a ... reasonable... price?

If not, I'm going to setup a freight forwarding account from USA I think... but don't particularly want to go to that sort of effort if I don't have to... for a few bolts... but it's the principle damnit. Importers are screwing us for all we're worth :\

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got Purolator Oil Filters, K&N Air Filter and K&N Air Filter kit (oil and cleaner) sent via Amazon .com.

Much, much, MUCH cheaper, and only took 7 days to arrive.

Yeah, we in Oz is getting REAMED!

Your mileage might vary, but I'd say at least have a look.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Paid with Paypal, or Visa, so no international account or other payment methods needed.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Befriend a member from the US.

My wonderful forum friends have sent me parts, dvd's etc with delivery at a fraction of the cost :rockon:

Also, we pay even more for goods in WA than you do in the Eastern states :(
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday Boars,

Try PartShark in the US. Shipping is a killer but the prices are slightly less than Rons. The dollar is strong at the moment. Save up you pennies and buy in bulk to get the best out of the shipping costs.

I did have a chat about this same issue with a very nice young man from a reputable company here in Sydney. I was wanting about $120 worth of parts and I got quoted over $400. I just really would like to keep my money in the country. He gave me all the spiel about different sized economies, larger bike riding population, etc.
But I thought "Hey, don't you order direct from Yamaha?", getting the same wholesale prices as the US? Would shipping from Japan be any more expensive? Does Australian customs really hit the importers/retailers up that bad here?
As you can see I got more questions than answers.

So I just ended up buying from the US.

Anyone - Please explain!

Last edited:

netbug

Reaction score
Visit site
Most spare parts prices in Australia is way much more pricier than US does not matter what parts you are looking for.
Some of it can be blamed on higher base salary and not enough buyers. This means stocks has to stay in the shop longer.
I can accept 30% more expensive, but I could not understand price difference up to 300% sometimes :confused: .
Moving to WA is making things worst.

Last edited:

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. :thumbup:

Yeah netbug, it's kinda absurd. One of the bits I ordered was over 500% the cost of MSRP in USA... and somewhere over 6-700% actual purchase price.

:spank:

Damn Circle, you're not wrong about shipping cost!!! That's crazy. Guess I'm going to be ordering a veritable pile of bolts, nuts, etc next week to make the shipping worth it. I'll never need to buy a bolt again. ;)

Last edited:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear you Boars!
I got quoted $116 for 2 swingarm bearings :rolleyes:
What can you do but send your money overseas? :(
(Plus the dollar is pretty darn good!)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Local Yamaha dealer, FZ1 bars -quoted @ $140.......... Members in the US buy them for @ $38....

Ended up with Rizoma bars - $78, bought on line from the US

Sooooo over prices in Aus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I work at a dealership and it's not just the dealers it's yamaha aus and the importers of the products. I myself buy some things (mostly for my sports atv) from USA because it is cheaper then the price we pay the supplier and then the mark up for normal customers has to somehow pay wages, bills, GST etc. one example is my 2 bros pipes, they were $100 cheaper landed then the dealer cost price from the importer without GST it's just wrong!

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
^^^^^^ aswell as their overheads most aussie bike shops order their stuff from an aussie importer of said product(another mob that has overheads)And so it goes on & on:eyebrow:But we probably all know someone that relies on all this markup,so it's a catch 22:(

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Makes me wonder why some dealers don't just import themselves... or something - I guess some importers have the rights to the region and so on and so forth... but god damnit it's annoying.

Just ordered a bunch of 848 parts for my bike from overseas... holy crapola... I'm glad the rest of my bike aint a duke!!!!! I don't even want to know how much that would have been locally. haha. Postage was FREAKING INSANE... I have got to stop ordering from USA and get more from europe. I was just in a rush today tho... trying to get all my parts sorted before my holiday so I can actually work on the bike... assuming everything arrives in time. :rolleyes:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, bought the Beouwulf s/steel rad guard coz it was a damn sight cheaper to ship from the UK than buy the local Rad Guard, shame but there was a heap of cash difference. I prefer to buy local, but there comes a time where the hip pocket nerve is too tingly to ignore.
So far I have not gone for any cheap "knock offs". I always want quality, but $'s is $'s
Sent from the phone: sorry 'bout my spileng, fat fingers...you know!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Makes me wonder why some dealers don't just import themselves... or something - I guess some importers have the rights to the region and so on and so forth... but god damnit it's annoying.

Just ordered a bunch of 848 parts for my bike from overseas... holy crapola... I'm glad the rest of my bike aint a duke!!!!! I don't even want to know how much that would have been locally. haha. Postage was FREAKING INSANE... I have got to stop ordering from USA and get more from europe. I was just in a rush today tho... trying to get all my parts sorted before my holiday so I can actually work on the bike... assuming everything arrives in time. :rolleyes:

Keep me up to date with your little project mate :BLAA:

Grtz,

Degake

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Ducati parts still haven't shipped... local parts may cost a fortune... but... generally... they're more convenient! :spank:

Good practice for zen and the patience thing :thumbup: :ban:

Anyway for anyone in the brisbane region who's thinking about purchasing tyres overseas and getting someone to fit them, just saw a post from "Mick's Bike & Car Tyres" on OCAU.MC - think registration is required... so I'm quoting it here too.

Bought tyres elwhere and cant fit them
Just bought some car or bike tyres but not from a dealer

WE FIT ANY TYRES YOU BRING IN

BIKE, CAR or 4WD TYRES

Just give us a call on 07 3881 0033

or

Come to
Mick's Bike & Car Tyres
1/6 Johnstone Rd
Brendale 4500
Pricing structure

Strip & Fits wheel of the vehicle
Car $10.00
Motorcycle $15.00
4WD $20.00

Strip & Refits wheels on the vehicle
Car $20.00
Motorcycle* $30.00*
4WD $35.00

*extra charge to remove panels and bling if it fouls the removal of wheels
P: 07 3881 0033
F: 07 3881 2211
E: [email protected]
W: Index of /
ZX9R01 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

I've never used Mick ... hell, haven't had to get new bike tyres since my last bike... all of 8 years ago :eek: so yeah no idea how good they are. Seems a good price tho.