AURMEND'S LED front turn signal mod

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup you got it. But unfortunately they will blink at different times.

If I understand correctly you are saying that the Pod and Directional will alternate (one on, the other off) when the turn signals are on. If true not a problem for me. That is what happens now as the relay switches power from 87a to 87.

So tell me more about the resistor. I have a rudimentary understanding of electronics, but I was always under the impression that current needs to be drawn, so hooking a 5a device to a 100a supply is no issue because the device only draws 5a. Voltage is pushed, so hooking a 12v device to a 24v supply usually creates a little puff of smoke.

And so if I do need a resistor, what value should I get? Unfortunately I cannot make out the color bands on my monitor.

Oh yeah, and where did you get the components? Went to Radio Shack and they only had N-Channel. I like the prototype boards as well. Can you tell me where to get them?

Thanks

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
If I understand correctly you are saying that the Pod and Directional will alternate (one on, the other off) when the turn signals are on. If true not a problem for me. That is what happens now as the relay switches power from 87a to 87.

So tell me more about the resistor. I have a rudimentary understanding of electronics, but I was always under the impression that current needs to be drawn, so hooking a 5a device to a 100a supply is no issue because the device only draws 5a. Voltage is pushed, so hooking a 12v device to a 24v supply usually creates a little puff of smoke.

And so if I do need a resistor, what value should I get? Unfortunately I cannot make out the color bands on my monitor.

Oh yeah, and where did you get the components? Went to Radio Shack and they only had N-Channel. I like the prototype boards as well. Can you tell me where to get them?

Thanks
Yes they will alternate.
Alright the good thing about using a P-Mosfet is that you don't need a register on the gate. So it's not necessar, it is if you used a NpN transistor.
I get my stuff from eBay
I'm at work so I can't answer fully

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so like I said, I have very little experience with semiconductors.....

I set up a little breadboard test of the blinker circuit using an IRFU9024 MOSFET. I connect a 12V positive to the SOURCE pin, connect the DRAIN pin to the + of a 12V LED, and connect the - from the LED to the battery negative. I activate the power and the LED lights as expected. I then introduce +12V to the GATE pin of the MOSFET and the LED turns off, again as expected.

Then it gets weird.....

However, when I remove the +12V from the SOURCE the LED does not relight. As the matter of fact it seems like I have to remove the MOSFET from the breadboard before the MOSFET resets itself and relights the LED.

I was under the impression that the LED would relight when the GATE voltage was removed.

So am I missing something or did I misunderstand the way it worked?

Thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Supply the ground to the gate on the mofset and it will work properly.

Thanks, so I see that toggling the GATE from + to - flashes the test LED (the running lights on the bike). In your original drawing it looks like you are just applying and removing +12V from the GATE. Am I reading that right? What am I missing.

Thanks

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes actually but the flasher switches it from + to -
When you install it on your bike it will work properly. I had the same exact problem bench testing it.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes actually but the flasher switches it from + to -
When you install it on your bike it will work properly. I had the same exact problem bench testing it.

I understand. I have a solid-state flasher relay on the bike to slow down the blink rate of my LED Pod and front directionals. I assume that it too will provide nough ground potential to toggle the MOSFET.

Either way, thanks for the help and the lesson. :D

NewKidOnTheBlock

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright this is a simple thread so you can have FRONT led turn signals and running lights. First you get a compatable MOSFET transister. This is what i got .IRFU9024 Transistor MOSFET Canal P
Then you hook it up like this.
gqidFvA.png

PLEASE TAKE NOTE WHICH IS THE GATE DRAIN AND SOURCE WHEN CONNECTING THE WIRES. Its shown below.
$T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qSZ1BRUO-GzRNQ~~60_3.JPG

AND THATS IT! Now you have running lights and turn signals on your 2 Wire leds. No need to spend the $25 for the pre-made ones. Cost for me is $4 but you can find it cheaper. Note: you don't need to use that exact one. You can research and find other ones with different specs.
Feel free to ask questions or comments

This is the mosfet installed and yes that's the OEM turn signal connector.
It's small! No big relays.
P7B2wOF.jpg

sorry for big picture

AND another edit. If you want POD lights and no turn signal, connect it before the Transistor. If you want it to act like a turn signal also, connect it after the Transistor. Simple.

Is that a wire from source to drain? I should have probably grounded the gate, the turn signal works fine but the light indicator in the dash is semi-light.