Audio on the bike

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I use the Autocom helmet speakers. They sound great and you don't have to worry about them falling out of your ears. However, if you like earbuds, I also heartily endorse the Entymotic ER6's Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•6i Isolator Earphones discussed by H8PVMT. I've used them for years with MP3 players.

Jim Karam,

i think I am going to muster through and save my pennies for an AutoCom setup. I have talked to several folks who have been using them for some years and would not change to anything different. I am looking at one of the new Logic systems and my only big decision is what earphones to use. The in helmet ones or earbuds?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode with earplugs for a long time, however that starts to get rather boring on long highway hauls. I can only go so long with "thinking time" before I need a little stimulation.

Have your tried singing to yourself? I find that "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" sung over and over can really chew up the miles :)

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Have your tried singing to yourself? I find that "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" sung over and over can really chew up the miles :)

Crap. Now I have that stuck in my head. American Pie works good too. Plus with American Pie, you can start singing it and not be done until you're at your destination.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was using an EXO 1000 until it fell apart. Web Bike World reviewed it as "louder than average" and I would have to agree with them. Wind noise was quite honestly unberable without ear plugs in.

I rode with earplugs for a long time, however that starts to get rather boring on long highway hauls. I can only go so long with "thinking time" before I need a little stimulation.

I tried normal earbuds you get with say a phone or mp3 player. Didn't work for me. They were difficult to to get to stay in place and the wind noise was louder than the music.

Same was true for a slightly more expensive pair of Skull Candies with different tips.

Then I tried the M6's, and was floored. Total silence. Even with music off, there was as much or less wind noise than a pair of contractor grade ear plugs. I have no reservations recommending them. For me, they were "the" solution to audio on my bike.

scorpion exo-700 in this color
exo-700-raider-helmet.jpg

i still have some wind noise, but the music is still audible. for earplugs i just use the cheap throw away ones you can get at lowe's in a bulk pack. i think they're 32 db plugs.

I've got a EXO 700 as well, only with the sunburst design. So same exact helmet. I wonder if my Puig Double-Bubble is screwing me here.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode in today with my Shure earbuds and used my Iphone for tunes. The toughest thing was keeping the buds in my ear when I pulled on my Shoei RF1100. About to leave for the trip home and am going to try and keep the earbuds in a little better for the trip home. They became a littel dislodged when putting on the helmet.

The road noise was still apparent, but the ride was more enjoyable for sure.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use something very similar to this that I bought off ebay.. just wire it all up in my jacket and then run the remote and headphone wires down my right arm.. then just clip the remote to part of the leather.. works amazingly well

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Remote-Earbuds-iPod-White/dp/B00009KO14/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1306442788&sr=8-8]Amazon.com: Apple Remote and Earbuds for iPod (White): Electronics[/ame]

737driver

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the mee electronics m6 from amazon. Much better fit than my shure earbuds due to their lower profile. Excellent bass, good mids and highs and very quiet when used only as an earplug. No problems with pulling out of ears when putting helmet on, riding or removing helmet.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
i buy 12 sets of KOSS earbuds when they're on woot.com for a cheap price (usually $4/pair free shipping) and just toss them if/when they get nasty.

they're noise cancelling, fit well, and have very nice bass response.

as far as mission control, just a HTC (tmobile) G2 running cyanogenmod for controlling the GPS (google navigation), Music, Phone calls, and everything audio related.

what i -really- like about the way android handles notifications is it can lower the volume of the music x decibles, and play whatever requires attentnion...

so i'm jamming nirvana, a turn comes up, the music quiets 15dB, (it's a hint a turn is coming) and the navigation voice says "RIGHT TURN AHEAD ON SUNSHINE HILL ROAD" then the music comes up again slowly. awesome. the brains and abilities of electronics nowadays AMAZE me.

all that, while simultaniousely tracking my location, sending the wife a SMS every 10 minutes (gps location via sms) and making a Trackback breadcrumb trail that uploads to Google maps ... automagically.

a freaking mazing. in a phone !

the fz provides the bestest tunes though, love the sound @ 6500-7500 rpm's.

rock on, ride safe !:rockon::rockon:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a EXO 700 as well, only with the sunburst design. So same exact helmet. I wonder if my Puig Double-Bubble is screwing me here.

Could be the combination of the helmet and screen. I have the same screen and I have started to wonder if all the wind noise I experience has really been caused the buffetting off the screen. I know Scorpions are safe, but they leave a little to be desired for comfort as far as I'm concerned.

i buy 12 sets of KOSS earbuds when they're on woot.com for a cheap price (usually $4/pair free shipping) and just toss them if/when they get nasty.

they're noise cancelling, fit well, and have very nice bass response.

as far as mission control, just a HTC (tmobile) G2 running cyanogenmod for controlling the GPS (google navigation), Music, Phone calls, and everything audio related.

what i -really- like about the way android handles notifications is it can lower the volume of the music x decibles, and play whatever requires attentnion...

so i'm jamming nirvana, a turn comes up, the music quiets 15dB, (it's a hint a turn is coming) and the navigation voice says "RIGHT TURN AHEAD ON SUNSHINE HILL ROAD" then the music comes up again slowly. awesome. the brains and abilities of electronics nowadays AMAZE me.

all that, while simultaniousely tracking my location, sending the wife a SMS every 10 minutes (gps location via sms) and making a Trackback breadcrumb trail that uploads to Google maps ... automagically.

a freaking mazing. in a phone !

the fz provides the bestest tunes though, love the sound @ 6500-7500 rpm's.

rock on, ride safe !:rockon::rockon:
I never thought I'd grow as attatched to my Android phone as I am. It is amazing what we are able to do. I just found out my GPS would cut into any music playing to deliver the directions. AWESOME!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a pair of the MEE m6s, I didn't like them.

I haven't gotten through trying all of the inserts so maybe I'm just not to the one that works best for me, but the 4 inserts I've tried aren't cutting it... Good sound quality, just not comfortable.