Attaching luggage - Advice needed

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm going on a trip next week and need some advice fitting Oxford packs to my FZ6N. Please see the attached photos.

Does anyone know exactly where the headstock strap goes for the tank bag?

Is it PhotoA or PhotoB? Or neither? Photo A seems more correct to me but I'm worried about the strap interfering with the steering.

With the tailpack, is the section I've mounted the straps to underneath the bike (photo D) strong enough? It feels like it's made of plastic but did seem to take the force OK.

Thanks guys.
Daniel

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that luggage, but I would say photo A is the way to go for the head strap. Defo not photo B. Is the tank bag magnetic or do you have to use the straps?
For the tail bag I would use something other than bungee cords, I just don't trust them. Maybe something like a double d-ring type of strap?

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that luggage, but I would say photo A is the way to go for the head strap. Defo not photo B. Is the tank bag magnetic or do you have to use the straps?
For the tail bag I would use something other than bungee cords, I just don't trust them. Maybe something like a double d-ring type of strap?

Yeah the tank bag is magnetic. I rode it home from the shop without the headstock strap and I've been watching videos of reviews of magnetic bags that don't have these at all. I'm thinking I might just not put anything valuable in the tank bag and not bother with the strap.

In the event that the bag came loose I don't actually think I'd want it attached by a strap around the headstock, as it might fall into the front wheel and cause an accident :eek:

The tail pack has a velcro strap that goes underneath the pillion seat (which took me a while to figure out how to lock the seat down once attached). So I think with the bungees it should be fine.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
Cant say same for the oxford tank bag, but a cheaper tank bag same style i had on my old fzs i used to put strap not to tight round the front bars ... it had enough play not to intefere with steering and if somthing had happened would have hopefully unclipped or the magnetic bit would come loose .
only used to carry basic stuff or a spare helmet n that was bout right weight not to cause problem

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the tank bag is magnetic. I rode it home from the shop without the headstock strap and I've been watching videos of reviews of magnetic bags that don't have these at all. I'm thinking I might just not put anything valuable in the tank bag and not bother with the strap.

In the event that the bag came loose I don't actually think I'd want it attached by a strap around the headstock, as it might fall into the front wheel and cause an accident :eek:

The tail pack has a velcro strap that goes underneath the pillion seat (which took me a while to figure out how to lock the seat down once attached). So I think with the bungees it should be fine.

I doubt you will have a problem with the tank bag then. I have a magnetic one too and never had it budge, even at 100ish mph. You should be good with the tail bag velcro strap and bungees. Good luck and have a great trip!

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Can happily say that my trip was a great success and the luggage was excellent! No problems.

I didn't use the headstock strap, went through some fairly strong cross winds and the tank bag didn't move at all.

Here's a pic in Kangaroo Valley (NSW, Australia) near the old bridge. Enjoy :thumbup:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
This mad eme laugh, i was sondering what the hell that clip was used for on the front of my oxford bag now i know. i just use the magnets lol have been for year. i have the naked FZ6 to and i have topped the bike out MPH wise with the tank bag on and never thought twice lol ..... learn something new everyday ah

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
For the front strap on the tank bag, I loop mine around the bars between the mounts (it's loose so there's plenty of slack to let the bars move as necessary). I see it as more of a safety in case the bag drops off, rather than an actual attachment mechanism, since that's what the magnets are for.