April 7th OR 14th - Western CT/NY ride (rt 53, CT7, CT44, NY22, CT7)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to GoPro and it's editing software, so maybe i'm missing something, but I have about 16 Gb of raw footage, and every time i try to adjust the video (mine need to be turned 180) and cut out stuff that is just uninteresting, the goPro studio converts it to .mov, which makes file much bigger (one 3 Gb file turns into 40Gb monster). As is, I don't think I should pollute metallicat's storage with stuff that won't be used anyways, so let me see if i can cut out workable pieces and then upload the result.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to GoPro and it's editing software, so maybe i'm missing something, but I have about 16 Gb of raw footage, and every time i try to adjust the video (mine need to be turned 180) and cut out stuff that is just uninteresting, the goPro studio converts it to .mov, which makes file much bigger (one 3 Gb file turns into 40Gb monster). As is, I don't think I should pollute metallicat's storage with stuff that won't be used anyways, so let me see if i can cut out workable pieces and then upload the result.

I've never used GoPro software, but I don't imagine it's very good. One that came with Contour was crap.
Stand-alone editing software allows you to do infinitely more and usually produces better results. I'm quite happy with Sony Vegas HD. It's not free though :(

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is video of the ride that I shot from my gopro. fz6-forum group ride - 04/07/2012 - YouTube

I had to reduce movie length from 30 min(3GB) to 12 min(0.9GB). Please excuse my novice skills with gogpro and video editing(using iMovie)!! :)
Thanks
M

thanks for sharing! i feel like i now know what it's like to be a tall rider on a faired bike! :thumbup:

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Here is video of the ride that I shot from my gopro. fz6-forum group ride - 04/07/2012 - YouTube

I had to reduce movie length from 30 min(3GB) to 12 min(0.9GB). Please excuse my novice skills with gogpro and video editing(using iMovie)!! :)
Thanks
M

Looks excellent! Thanks! Yeah I feel like I'm surfing your ride :rockon:.

If anyone can narrow down that sick collection of bends before the restaurant... that'd be great.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never used GoPro software, but I don't imagine it's very good. One that came with Contour was crap.
Stand-alone editing software allows you to do infinitely more and usually produces better results. I'm quite happy with Sony Vegas HD. It's not free though :(

I actually have sony vegas and it looks like a good program, but I havent really played with it, and when i try to render the video as mp4, it fails on me. So, i used QuickTime pro and flipped the picture and trimmed some time using it. I do need to play around with Vegas HD tho.

I just started the upload - it's going to take a while, let's see how long it takes Optonline to freak out on my upload volume :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks
M

Thanks for posting it up, Manny! Love the camera angle! :thumbup:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I'm uploading the raw files to metallicat's server, I figured i'd play around with Sony Vegas. I gotta say, this is one cool program. I found it fairly intuitive - back in the days when I had my first 80486, I had SoundForge and I'd mess around with it - and this has the same concepts - really really cool :)

Here is the result:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jok_dK_kAJo"]fz6_ride.mov - YouTube[/ame]

UPDATE 1: Woopsie.... had to take it down temporarily, thanks to license restrictions on soundtrack. "Attribution" is great, but when it's followed by "ND" and "NC", makes it a no-no. [sigh] Will repost in a few, hopefully with a decent soundtrack
UPDATE 2: Reposted with different soundtrack and a whole bunch of disclosures

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I'm uploading the raw files to metallicat's server, I figured i'd play around with Sony Vegas. I gotta say, this is one cool program. I found it fairly intuitive - back in the days when I had my first 80486, I had SoundForge and I'd mess around with it - and this has the same concepts - really really cool :)

Here is the result:

fz6_ride.mov - YouTube

UPDATE 1: Woopsie.... had to take it down temporarily, thanks to license restrictions on soundtrack. "Attribution" is great, but when it's followed by "ND" and "NC", makes it a no-no. [sigh] Will repost in a few, hopefully with a decent soundtrack

awesome video!:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to watch it, Tim! (streaming's blocked at work).
Youtube will pull audio on any vid with copyrighted music :(

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I (finally) finished uploading the raw video to metallicat's server. it's in raw_video folder. The ATC9K was the forward-looking and gopro - was backward-looking and helmet mounted (didnt come out that great - it was pointed down too much)

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com

Here is the result:

fz6_ride.mov - YouTube

Incredible dedication, thanks man. We probably could have had another run during the time it took you to do this! Unlike youTube, my server is copyright proof proof :) - in fact I encourage it - especially if you use Maiden, Priest, Metallica, or other soothing melodies.

The videos are all converting to flash now... will take a while.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...in fact I encourage it - especially if you use Maiden, Priest, Metallica, or other soothing melodies.

I certainly like your examples of fine relaxing and tranquil music! :rockon:

As far as converting the videos - I'd probably get rid of them altogether after Eric and anyone else who wants to compile a video downloads them - they are really a raw feed of which maybe 5% could be interesting, the rest is rather dull. Your NAS, of course, your call :)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of my pics (I bet I know which one Kazza will like best :D )
I'd hit it!
52102179.jpg

:D:D:D

Thanks for the PM Eric.

I missed this one completely :shakehead:

Rossi monster - I'd have that one.

Ok, I have to confess something. Whilst I am fiercely loyal to Il Doctor, aka The Greatest Rider ever aka Valentino Rossi, I have replaced him on my MotoGP Fantasy team with Jorge Lorenzo :spank:

I was really sad when I did that :(:(:(