Anyone using this card in their GoPro HD?

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
HP - 16GB Secure Digital High Capacity Memory Card - Q6305A-EF

Just got GoPro in the mail and need to get a card - the ones I have don't seem to have a high enough write speed as the video comes out out of synch with the audio and slow-motion-like even at the lowest res. The manual calls for class 4, which equates to 4MB/sec writes, which is what this card claims to do, but just wanted to be certain before picking one up. I could always order a class 6 for roughly the same money online, but am impatient.

Thanks!

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
N/M, that's online only. If anyone is using a card they got at a major retailer (Wal-Mart, Target, Office Depot) with success. Please LMK.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the 8GB card that came with it. It's a SanDisc Ultra. 15MB/s. At 720p and 30 fps it seems to last for ever (actually 2 hrs and 10 minutes)...lol.

Sorry I can't be more help.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure the video and audio is out of sync? I thought exactly the same when I played my first few trials back on my PC as it was all jittery. However when I connected the supplied leads to connect it directly to my HD TV it was fine.

Turns out that the media player on the PC was playing it back very poorly as the PC screen wasn't HD.

The recording on the card was absolutely fine even at highest res.

Try it into an HD TV or use the VLC media player which works fine for playback on a PC. My cards are all class 4 which should be quick enough and look to be the same as yours from the image in your link.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the 8GB card that came with it.
Hmm. Mine didn't include a card, unless I just didn't dig enough through the box or something.
Are you sure the video and audio is out of sync? I thought exactly the same when I played my first few trials back on my PC as it was all jittery. However when I connected the supplied leads to connect it directly to my HD TV it was fine.

Turns out that the media player on the PC was playing it back very poorly as the PC screen wasn't HD.

The recording on the card was absolutely fine even at highest res.

Try it into an HD TV or use the VLC media player which works fine for playback on a PC. My cards are all class 4 which should be quick enough and look to be the same as yours from the image in your link.

Yeah, turned out that was the deal. I hadn't even considered that my PC would choke on the video, but considering that it was having to scale the video down to fit my old school LCD's at 1024x1280 (even 720p is 1366 wide, I believe), I guess it sort of makes sense. I ended up riding to Wal-Mart and picking up a 16GB PNY class 4 and it seems to work fine, but I was cursing at first when it played like crap until I read the FAQ on the website instructing me to hook the camera directly to the TV to test it as you suggested.

Now I have to get a 37" iMac to do my video editing...when does it ever end :p.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on GoPro, any Class 4 will work fine. I remember reading a forum post where they where listing certain cards (brands) that had "compatibility" problems with the HD camera. I'll try to find that post again.

I was called today and finally camera was shipped, it should he here Saturday, so I'll end up getting a card from Target, Office Depot, etc.

Brands wise, I think Sandisk would be the prefered option.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on GoPro, any Class 4 will work fine. I remember reading a forum post where they where listing certain cards (brands) that had "compatibility" problems with the HD camera. I'll try to find that post again.

I was called today and finally camera was shipped, it should he here Saturday, so I'll end up getting a card from Target, Office Depot, etc.

Brands wise, I think Sandisk would be the prefered option.

Yeah, the PNY seems to work fine. I could have saved a good $10-15 if I would have been less impatient (or showed more forethought and ordered the card at the same time as the camera) and got one from newegg.

I can be on "The Snake" within around 20 minutes, so I hope to have some good vids soon :D.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a list of "compatible" cards:
GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - Stickie - List of Proven Compatible SDHC Cards

Here is another list of cards:
GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - Which cards do YOU want to see listed as compatible? - POLL

Amazon has the Kingstone 32gb for $80:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class-Memory-SD4-32GB/dp/B001C9P5TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276262232&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Kingston 32 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card…[/ame]

Yesterday, I found in Target a Lexar 16gb Class 4 on sale for $40 but, I just found this online:
Quote:
"
01-23-2010, 07:42 PM
UselessPickles

I just got my GoPro HD Hero and tested it with a new Lexar 16GB Class 4 SDHC card (meeting the recommendation of "name brand and at least class 4"). It didn't work out well. I did some searching and found that GoPro is aware that even some name-brand cards are not working well, so they are working on compiling a list of cards that are proven to work, as well as cards that are proven to NOT work. Until that list is available, they say that they can recommend the Kingston 16GB class 4 card for sure, because that's a card they use regularly without any problems.

So I just ordered the recommended card, put my Lexar up on ebay, and can get by with a 4GB Memorex card that has been working well.

With a compatible SD card, the video quality is very nice
Go Pro Hero HD not all that. - FJR Riders Forum
"

I might end up getting a PNY 16gb to start the learning process (I'm planning a long ride Sunday, so I'd like to take the camera and see how it goes) I've been waiting for a month for the camera to be on stock and shipped!!!!! (Super Bike Supply - Your source for sportbike parts and accessories geared for enthusiasts like ourselves. : - Gopro Motorsports Hero)

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the PNY seems to work fine. I could have saved a good $10-15 if I would have been less impatient (or showed more forethought and ordered the card at the same time as the camera) and got one from newegg.

I can be on "The Snake" within around 20 minutes, so I hope to have some good vids soon :D.

So, you ended up buying the PNY? how did it go?

Thanks,

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, just noticed your post. The PNY class 4 worked fine for me. When I first got it home, I thought it was a dud, but my problem is my antiquated PC. I shot some 720p 60fps vid on the way home from the store and it was fine, and tested the 1080p (albeit a short video) in the basement with no issues.

I didn't realize that HP was online only when I was looking at the website and I just had to have soemthing right then. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to do any riding or shoot anymore video over the weekend.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend was at SAMs on Saturday and she picked up for me a TOSHIBA Class 4 16GB card for ~$35
I was only able to test it on Sunday, I took a couple of still pictures and a short video (all the default setting as they come with the camera). It seems to work fine, now I'll have to start modifying settings to see if it would be completely compatible.