Anyone use your mobile phones to navigate or detect speed traps?

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi y'all

I like to know whether ya guys uses any Google maps or others to navigate around. I find it useful in the city but not on common land.

How bout those speedtrap apps? Share anyone?

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
When I travel I rarely use my phone to navigate, I like to study the path on paper and usually I don't get mistaken.

But the app I use "Here" and other GPS like apps do have that feature for fixed speed traps, there are some other that let you introduce places that usually have civilian like cars with speed traps.

"V"

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used Waze a lot. All the apps that are for speed traps are user dependent. I have tried quite a few and there are some that think a rolling cop is a reason to put a detection, Boggles the mind on that one, so you get false alarms. Better than nothing but there are Laser jammers and radar detectors for motorcycles. They auto shut off after a determined distance so after getting close the cop will see your speed and just think it is a glitch with the laser or a misread.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Here. Love it. Downloadable maps, so no using the data allowance. And it's good on permanent speed cameras, obviously nothing you can about mobile ones.

I use it on Bluetooth headset, as phone screens are awful and it's really good. I will admit, it's taken some getting used to: on a motorway it does exits perfectly: "keep left and take the exit". On A roads that are dual carriageways (sorry for gaps in "American English": I mean main roads, with motorway like exits) it just says "keep left". I've missed a few exits that way, but know to look out for them now.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Waze while driving my car or when friends are driving and we are going out that night. for normal bike use i don't i could but between my Lazer Veil on being on a bike i just keep my eyes open

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Waze as well. It's too bad that it requires you to actually be navigating somewhere in order to get alerts. Sometimes I'll go for a ride with a pre-planned route - not just a destination, so Waze doesn't really work. However, I use it to reach my destination. It's not 100% accurate, especially in more rural areas with less users, but it's better than nothing. I don't rely on it to point out every cop, but it's a good warning that lets me double check my speed just in case.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I just make it a habit to ride the speed limit around the surface streets around town. I may find myself going 5 over on the indicator, but rarely 10. Speed is always one of the contributing factors in crashes, combining your speed with all the idiot drivers driving in the city, it's to my advantage not to speed. Now out in the rural areas, freeways or on those spirited rides, I tend to ride a bit faster.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use google maps via earphones.
I have it synced with my gmail account, as it remembers my favs.
I recently downloaded Here maps but can't trust it yet. I need to use it while driving a car, as if I miss something I don't know how it will work.
I don't like iOS maps and wave is a waste of data for me. unless it's a very long drive, I use wake for traffic/accidents/road work, but not for cops.

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice highlights guys. I forgot to mention that I used waze for real time reports and plan on which route to use when there are reports on traffic and etc. Google maps is more on the detail route and the street view which I find useful. I use to use Trapster but the app was no longer supported due to some issues.

I would like to know whether is there any offline map apps that I can use without using my data subscription when out of the country. One of you guys suggested 'here' app.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Here Drive I think it's full name is. You download the map you need (I've just got the UK on mine at the minute) and use it like you would a normal satnav. It does find your location (initially) better with mobile services on, but can turn it off once it's got you.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
maps.me has an offline feature, haven't used it yet but do have it on my phone. When in the car on long trips Waze is always on more or less for traffic alerts and detours

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds neat you guys. Looking for some offline maps with the aid of GPS can be handy. Is it always better to use a phone or getting a navigation device? Rarely go on tours thus the cost factor of investing in one and it's usage.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've not found a satnav that does everything I need it to, for what I can afford. The main issue being, seeing the screen in direct sunlight. If it's going in a pocket and being used via Bluetooth, my phone does that. No need to spend £350+ on a proper satnav.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not found a satnav that does everything I need it to, for what I can afford. The main issue being, seeing the screen in direct sunlight. If it's going in a pocket and being used via Bluetooth, my phone does that. No need to spend £350+ on a proper satnav.

I use phone for shorter distance nav via earphones, along with music.
but for long distances, I use my Garmin Nuvi 1390LT, car GPS, which I bid for 35$ including shipping, and still didn't die after wetting in a big rain, the money has been paid off on that. MSRP is around 130USD I guess.

Well I just found this:
Garmin Nuvi 3760 1490 1390 50 52 54 55 56 T GPS Waterproof Bike Motorcycle Mount | eBay

Cons with that device: It cannot have motorcycle twisties roads loaded into its favs via bootcamp, but once on the road, it stil shows me the curves/turnings/twisties.

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use copilot premium for navigation on my phone. It allows unlimited waypoints so you can really customize a route.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also recommend Copilot. I started with the free version then upgraded for about $7. I think it's the premium level now. I upgraded to get the voice prompts so I can hear directions from my phone into my Sena headset.

Good features: It works when you're in the mountains and are out of cell range.The maps are stored and the gps still works. You can drag the routes to pick twisty roads. You can customize the messages better than most systems to get fewer warnings or more. One is a warning for speed at above the posted limits, selectable for several increments above.

Takes a lot of storage space though. I could only load the NE and mid-West. If/when I visit TN & NC I'll have to load the southeast.

I did not upgrade to the version that connects to live traffic alerts. I don't know if that version gives alerts for radar traps.

Last edited:

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for sharing your inputs. Talking about navigating just reminds me about phone mounts thanks to Raja. I got a couple that I purchased on ebay (Mostly china-made mounts). Some are fitted to a gooseneck and some fitted in a cover. Do you guys have any probs when exposing your phone to the sun too long when mounted on your bike? I find it too hot and unsure whether the chips inside will be damaged or fried. Anyone face these probs before?

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Phones have thermal shutdown to protect themselves in case they get too hot. I've never had a problem. The phone gets plenty of airflow.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I use mine in the map pocket of a tankbag, let's me crack the zip and give it some airflow. Not had a problem yet, but slightly less warm here.