Anyone use a gps?

Wifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my 2005 fz6 and was looking at a handlebar mount for my phone to use it as a gps while riding. Does anyone use anything like this?

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a couple of Zumo 550's that get moved from bike to bike. I like them for many reasons. Lets me see the road ahead if I am not familiar with it. Keeps me from getting too lost when off road, :rolleyes: acts as a backup speedometer, I can connect it to my Sena and have tunes and a phone if needed.

I have a RAM handle bar mount and the GPS is wired directly to the battery. I do have to remember to turn it off.

So Yes to GPS.

Marc

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a RAM handlebar mount and cradle for my Nuvi 205. I wired a battery tender lead to the battery and bought an adapter so I can plug my GPS in while riding and tuck all the extra wiring in my tank bag. RAM mounts are awesome by the way, rock solid.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like getting lost. It's half the fun!

GPS is always packed deep in the kit as a failsafe. I have a pretty good one with great topographic maps loaded. But usually I try to use paper maps and a lot of fuel. Lol

It's not an adventure if you know where you're going! Rofl

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

GPS is always packed deep in the kit as a failsafe. I have a pretty good one with great topographic maps loaded. But usually I try to use paper maps and a lot of fuel. Lol

Literally LOL!! You kill me........:BLAA:

As for Wifz6, Besides an old Garmin SPIII with no updated maps, I did wire up a car, non water proof Garmin, 2300 GPS which I rarely use unless out of town.. The screen is the same size as the the largest 665.. Still a bi..ch to see in full sunlight if you don't have a black jacket on. The sun reflects back into the screen..

I got my main, plastic mount (which is VERY secure) from this company: RAM Mounting Systems, Inc..

I had the 12 volt to 5 volt harness custom made by "Powerlet" as its a car GPS and is hardwired to the bike. The short piece of wire is attached to the actual GPS mount and will disconnect from the harness if needed. Power to the unit is via a tap into the side right running light (directional) so it only comes on with the ignition.

The STEM NUT is also custom made and is the only nut in existance this smaller size..

The Techmount stem itself has a swivel end so I can adjust the GPS if needed.

Last edited:

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say enough good things about the RAM mount. $45 well spent, that thing is rock solid. I have a droid Bionic, left it on the mount for a 7 hour trip on the highway, doesn't budge. Can't really say much about wind affecting it, since it was on my handlebars behind my windscreen, but I didn't ride like a pansy.

Oh and one of the fingers on it happens to line up with my power button, so if I want to turn the screen on/off to save battery, it's easy to do with gloves on.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 550 on the basic Ram Mount ( Click ). Ram has a cradle offering for about everything out there and the mount base is really flexible relative to positioning for views. I also have a Ram EZ-Strap Mount ( Click ), which although I use it for my spot device, can use the same nav cradles as their regular mounts. The strap mount is a good, cheapo solution if you have multiple bikes, need a super fast on/off mount or need to mount in odd places since it doesn't require a round mounting point.

I have the Nuvi hardwired to an FZ-1 Fuzeblock for switched power on my ST and use a cig-type outlet the po installed on the FZ6. Sometimes I just run the nav on the battery and carry and extra.

ManxMann

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just bought a Givi s850 mount, optimate cigarette adaptor and usb plug so I can use my phone as a gps. I haven't had chance to use it yet but it looks good. You don't need gps over here but it helps to find out of the way places.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope. When I don't know where I'm going, I let my husband go first. And then pretty soon we turn around and go the way I said we should have gone in the first place. But sometimes we do it the opposite way for fun. :D

He has three GPSs (so far) because he forgets to bring them, so when he gets lost without me, he finds a Best Buy and gets a new one. :rolleyes:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Generally don't use a GPS and leave the wife at home. :)

On those occasions I want to know where I'm going I use a Garmin NUVI 205 and the standard suction cup mount to the inside of the windscreen. Has never come off but does obscure the top of the tac and the turn signal indicator lights. Works for me.

PS: Have one son who never gets lost - like he was born with a built in GPS, other son can get lost anywhere anytime.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my 2005 fz6 and was looking at a handlebar mount for my phone to use it as a gps while riding. Does anyone use anything like this?

Well I use a Zumo 550, which is Ideal, but most people think it's too expensive for the occasional ride.

A friend of mine uses his android phone in one of these bags and it works well (they come in several different sizes), I must admit he also uses a rammount to connect it to his handlebars, which is good quality but it was more expensive than the bag itself :eek:.

Another friend of mine uses this bag from Givi and is very happy with it.

Last edited:

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my iPhone with the garmin software and a waterproof case. You can remove the case easily and there's a kit to hardwire a charger to the battery so the phone doesn't run out of juice.

Got it from ultimate addons for about $30

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a tomtom rider pro 2. Only really use it to find somewhere when time is against me. Otherwise going down roads you don't know is all part of the fun when out for a blast :)

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site

I like using paper maps myself. The one thing I really like the GPS for is navigation through a city. Makes life a whole lot simpler and you don't have to be frustrated and can pay more attention to what is going on around you instead of always trying to look for your next turn.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a garmin Nuvi 1300 which i received as a gift. Which is great for a car and going from point A to point B.

But, I am trying to plan a trip in August and the Nuvi's do not have routable maps...only the ZUMO's do...I wanted to get a ZUMO but couldn't justify another $400-$500 just for routable. SO, I just print off directions from Google after I plan my route on google maps.

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my iPhone with the garmin software and a waterproof case. You can remove the case easily and there's a kit to hardwire a charger to the battery so the phone doesn't run out of juice.

Got it from ultimate addons for about $30

Same as CountryBoy, bought mine with the hardwire charger off Amazon