Visit site
and is this true??
graph.jpg

graph_source.jpg

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
There are lots of things to keep in mind when looking at facts like that (granted, these are my own observations, not facts, please feel free to back up or contradict anything with real facts):

1 - a large increase in the number of motorcycle riders (fatalities have increased, so have the sheer amount of motorcyclists) in the past 10 years or so

2 - the increase of cagers texting while driving and how many states require what for car licensing (I know in NH, it is not very difficult to get a car license, and even easier to keep one)

3 - how many states have helmet laws? and of those, how many are really well enforced? in NH we have no helmet law for people over 18, and I have heard of folks stopping at the rest stops coming in from NH and ME just to take off their helmets

4 - increase in drivers in general, therefore more congestion at intersections, fewer opportunities for bikes to be seen, thicker traffic on highways, etc.

5 - this is especially true in the US... no one wants to be last (or slowest or late, whatever), so they need to go as soon as they can, even if it means cutting someone off (I'm thinking left-turners here), running red lights, or blowing through stop signs.

6 - the average age of riders and the size of the bikes that are out there. let's face it, young people tend to take more risks, and are a hazard because of it. 50-60 year old men who are just getting a bike for the first time tend to overestimate their abilities because of their decades of auto driving. with more big bikes on the market, many first-time buyers are being swayed toward the biggest and fanciest with little regard to what is appropriate for their abilities, and thus end up with a bike that is far too fast, far too heavy, or far too large for their size and ability, making their risks increase.

These are just some things I think about.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
true, and dont forget the increase of sportbike sales. i dont have any numbers but im sure sportbikes are gaining in popularity very very quickly among younger people

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya but only bikers see it i think

what cager is going to search for motorcycle awareness ads?

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
There are lots of things to keep in mind when looking at facts like that (granted, these are my own observations, not facts, please feel free to back up or contradict anything with real facts):

<skipped stuff>

6 - the average age of riders and the size of the bikes that are out there. let's face it, young people tend to take more risks, and are a hazard because of it. 50-60 year old men who are just getting a bike for the first time tend to overestimate their abilities because of their decades of auto driving. with more big bikes on the market, many first-time buyers are being swayed toward the biggest and fanciest with little regard to what is appropriate for their abilities, and thus end up with a bike that is far too fast, far too heavy, or far too large for their size and ability, making their risks increase.

These are just some things I think about.

I agree!!

When I learned to ride a MC the really hot bikes at high school made about 30 HP. Nowdays anyone with the cash can buy a 150 HP bike. And not very much cash if you're shopping used on eBay. Granted it's not the speed at which you crash that kills you but a lot of first time buyers go for a bike that's in their budget but way out of their skill range.

We (USA) don't spend much time or $$$ on rider education and the MC dealers are trying to make the most profit on each sale - which leads them to push the bigger, faster bikes. I had a dealer tell me to stay away from the Ninja 250. Dealer wanted $5000 for a new one - so I got a 6 year old one from eBay for $1500 and it's one of the best and most fun bikes I ever owned. I bought the FZ later but I kept the 250. :Sport: