Anyone notice?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone notice they now have estimated fuel economy ratings on the yamaha site on the supersports except for the R1 (that I could find). They have the FZ-6 rated at 40mpg, the R6-S rated at 42mpg, the R6 rated at 40, and the FZ1 rated at 35mpg.

Why would the R6-S be rated higher? And these ratings are obviously low since I have my Scorps on and the lowest I've been able to get is 41 riding hard with some 2-up.

Just figured I'd mention it. I'm sure they put the ratings there to try to boost sales with everyone complaining about fuel prices.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
**Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride, mantain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.

Is what it says at the bottom of the page.

And it doesn't say it on the R1's homepage, but in the specs section it has:

Fuel Economy** 33 mpg

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
You asked why is the r6-s use less fuel than a fz6

well ive not got the answer but on the same run of about 100miles, me on my gsxr750 07 and my missus on her fz6 fazer 07, she used more fuel than me, same speed same distance

go figure, is the fz6 just poor on economy

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get about 50 miles per gal. When we went on a 300 mile trip, each time we stopped for gas, I still had about 3/4 of a tank. My husband's ZZR1200 was about 1/4 if that.

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
Why would the R6-S be rated higher? And these ratings are obviously low since I have my Scorps on and the lowest I've been able to get is 41 riding hard with some 2-up.

My guess is.... Weight and aerodynamics. I don't think I have ever got under 40mpg on my FZ6, no matter how I ride it, and I have acheived 50mpg on the highway.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I get around 40mpg on my FZ6. The R6S might get better milage because its at 40-50lbs lighter? But then again the R6 is lighter as well, lol...But yes i did notice that they now display the MPG's of the bikes, i think thats cool!

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Question? has anyone noticed a difference with the type of fuel they are using? Like choosing the High Grade over the Low Grade.

When I first bought my FZ6 I pumped in the High Grade thinking it would be better for the bike, and sense it was a small tank the price didn't hurt as much. Recently I have been cheep and pumped in the Low Grade stuff and I'm almost certain that my mpg has gone up. There may be my own learning factor to add in and if I take it 'easy' rather than try to get up to speed by second or third gear it helps as well.

S

Shamus McFeeley

High grade gas is a gimmick. Its marketed as being cleaner somehow but really is not. It all has to do with knock, high compression plus high ambient temps can mean that you'll have combustion before spark. When I was younger I always though the high grade stuff was rocket fuel, but learned different later on. The mid grade stuff is really the best option. The amount of ethanol in the fuel can have an effect on your mileage too. I use the mid grade stuff from the chevron in town and average about 45-50mpg. I have a 35 mile drive to work everyday mostly on the highway. When the temps get colder I'll probably start putting in the low grade again.

stealthman_1

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I don't know about mid-grade vs. high grade, but regular vs. premium makes a big difference in some vehicles (cagers). My Toyota 4x4s, an '84 and a '99 didn't make any difference, but they would run on pee if you needed too. The '06 Lexus RX330 I had got 10% to 13% better mileage on premium, which more than offset the 4% difference in price at the time. Will be interesting to see how the FZ6 runs on both.

Also, now that there is virtually no chance of getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250R for '08, people are snagging the 500cc to 650cc bikes up like hot cakes. At nearly $5 a gallon here in Ca, recouping the investment on a 50mpg bike happens really fast vs. a 18mpg SUV...and you can ride the diamond lane.:rockon:

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Its been proven that over time the 91 will be best for bikes, due to the higher compression (i think) and the fact our engins rev higher. I've read many tests by pro's and they found there is just a 1hp difference between the gas but in the long haul its better to feed it 91 they all said. Now it'll run just fine on the lower grade as well i think so its up to us. But i'll stick to 91.
Also, now that there is virtually no chance of getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250R for '08, people are snagging the 500cc to 650cc bikes up like hot cakes. At nearly $5 a gallon here in Ca, recouping the investment on a 50mpg bike happens really fast vs. a 18mpg SUV...and you can ride the diamond lane.:rockon:
18mpg? I get that in my V6 Toyota...Most SUV's are more around 10mpg city. I pretty much dont touch my car anymore :p

Last edited:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The thing about using a higher grade is when you fill up a motorcycle you only talking an extra .10 per gallon X 4 to 5 gallons is only fifty cent at most.

I got 93 octane at Sam's Club for 4.05 two days ago.