Anyone mod stock exhaust to make it louder?

Yamaha Ya Ya

Reaction score
Visit site
And if so, how'd you do it? Does it sound good? Stock is too quiet for me and we don't have $600 laying around for an aftermarket exhaust just now.

Thanks!

Like many of us, I drilled the stock exhaust.
with the right tools, 5 minute work, and for free.

I am still in love with the "new" sound of my drilled exhaust. It's a personal thing. some people love it, some hate it.
I never had any after market exhaust, and the fz6 is my very first bike, so any change in sound is an improvement.

but I can imagine, that once you get used to the sound of a real aftermarket exhaust, that the drilled stock will sound like crap.
but I allready said it, it's all about personal taste.

little writeup:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ler-drilling-vs-performance-2.html#post310075

sound:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Axf9B2N2s]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 stock exhaust drilled[/ame]

In case anybody doesn't already know, there's legislation (SB 435 introducted by Sen Pavley) being considered right now in CA Senate to require an "exhaust sticker" on all bikes. I don't know what the DB cutoff will be but if the Senate passes it and Gov signs it, all riders would have to pass an inspection and display a sticker attesting to legal noise limits. I can't imagine the bill passing (because it would knock out so many Harleys) but, you never know.... . I would imagine a (or most) modified FZ6 exhaust would still be okay in CA.

Going to do mine but I have one question. It looks like on one of the pictures that there are 2 walls to the baffle. Do you have to drill through both or just the first wall.

For dirtbikes in CA the sound requirement is 96db. There are obviously many ways to test but CA has their test which is pretty hard. When this requirement came out, nearly zero aftermarket exhausts passed. Mfgs. had to redesign to meet the standard. So knowing the BS that happens in CA, I doubt any modified stock or better performance aftermarket would pass. We all know that less restrictive exhaust equals more power and louder sound.

There is just one baffle wall to drill through, I used a 3/4 inch drill bit with a 16 inch extension, worked amazingly good! I love the sound of my FZ6 now, much deeper tone, not much louder just a better tone :)

Can anybody post a video on how to drill the exhaust? I have a 2011 and when I shine my light in the exhaust hole, the hole appears to curve downwards. I am not sure if I drill into the curve or if there is supposed to be a flat bottom that I drill into?

Back