Anyone had an ACL surgery?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is what the medical professionals recommend. It's not required but they think its for the better to minimize future complications. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction surgery.

So what can I expect? The doctor thinks I can begin riding in a few weeks. Crutches for the first few days then a knee brace that is adjusted as weeks go on by. Hmmm? Have a month to think about it.

For those who missed the thread, it was more of a plant, knee buckling or hyperextending.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/what-i-learned-today/51629-2014-start-off-crash.html

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I havent personally but my little brother did, they take a piece of ligament out of your ankle and splice it into your knee to repair your ACL, he was on crutches for a little while and then wasn't allowed to do any biking (bmx) or skiing for about a year. He is sort of in the process of getting a motorcycle now and the injury did sort of keep him from getting into it earlier, we were concerned his knee could potentially give out again if he had to put his foot out funny to stop a drop or something.

Which knee are you having done? if its your left leg it might be safe to let it heal a little longer before getting back on the bike as that's the one you will be using more at stop lights and the such.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I just did, but I had other ligaments replaced as well. The ACL wasn't a real big deal from what the doctor said, but the others were. Hate to hear about the accident, I know it sucks. Glad it's not any worse then it is, and hope you get it fixed and heal up fast!

BTW, they can either take a ligament from you or use one from a cadaver. I had ligaments from a , but I had 3 replaced. I have read that the heal time is shorter using cadaver ligaments, but I really don't know if it's any better or worse either way.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a lot of chronic pain patients. I've seen the results from both cadaver and their own ligaments. I've seen people get great results with their own ligaments with a little residual pain from where they take the tissue from usually the hamstrings. I've also seen people with great results from cadaver. I've also seen people that have opted to do nothing and they heal up just fine.

The flip side is true as well I've seen all the ways not work well (and most of these are the ones I see because they are still in pain).

Whichever way you go with the things that I've seen consistently provided the best results.
1. Have a good surgeon. (how skillful they are at doing their job with the least amount of damage is key)
2. Don't smoke: smoking stunts the healing response.
3. Take supplements: Vitamin C 2-5,000 mg per day with bioflavinoids, Vitamin D3 1-5,000 IU per day, hyaluronic acid, MSM, B12,
4. Eat Bone Broth - find recipes online. Bone broth is full of the ingredients your body needs to repair connective tissue.
5. Make sure you have a good Physical Therapist.
6. Never stop PT: learn the exercises, maintain the balance between muscles, maintain flexibility and strength.
7. Take up Yoga after you're all healed up.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a lot of chronic pain patients. I've seen the results from both cadaver and their own ligaments. I've seen people get great results with their own ligaments with a little residual pain from where they take the tissue from usually the hamstrings. I've also seen people with great results from cadaver. I've also seen people that have opted to do nothing and they heal up just fine.

The flip side is true as well I've seen all the ways not work well (and most of these are the ones I see because they are still in pain).

Whichever way you go with the things that I've seen consistently provided the best results.
1. Have a good surgeon. (how skillful they are at doing their job with the least amount of damage is key)
2. Don't smoke: smoking stunts the healing response.
3. Take supplements: Vitamin C 2-5,000 mg per day with bioflavinoids, Vitamin D3 1-5,000 IU per day, hyaluronic acid, MSM, B12,
4. Eat Bone Broth - find recipes online. Bone broth is full of the ingredients your body needs to repair connective tissue.
5. Make sure you have a good Physical Therapist.
6. Never stop PT: learn the exercises, maintain the balance between muscles, maintain flexibility and strength.
7. Take up Yoga after you're all healed up.

I will have to see if I can come up with a cadaver.

I'm not a smoker so no problem there, not even marijuana.

I believe the surgeon will be doing this for the first time, so the surgery will be heavily discounted.

I have to climb a flight of stairs about ten times a day at work, that's all the PT I will need.

I will consider yoga if the women are hot!

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
ACL replacement in 2007 on my right knee. I used cadaver tendon instead of pulling something from my own body. I do not regret this decision, as that was one less thing to have to heal and work around WRT PT.

I don't remember the exact time-table, but I went from unable to drive my truck to driving within first week, and also from two to one crutch during the same time.

As others have stated, stay with the PT.

Overall it's not too bad and if you were healthy prior to the injury you should be back up to your old self quickly.