Anybody remove center kickstand?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't even have a centrestand - they are NOT standard on FZ6Ns in Australia, so I obviously only use the side stand, or if it's in the shed for a while, a rear racing stand.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you carry your Fz6 around? Who cares how much it weighs? It's more useful on the bike than off! I love it and won't be taking it off anytime soon!

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the way I always look at stuff like that. If I take that off it'll make it 5 pounds lighter? Then I look at my belly and realize "I know where I can lose a ton of weight off my bike!!" Also I feel unless you're racing your bike against other people competitively, it's not worth it at all. I don't know how many times I've been at autocross competitions listening to this guy with a huge beer gut saying "I drain my fluids to the BARE minimum to save weight" and I'm like that is NOT where you should be cutting pounds off your car, sir. :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
My center stand was gone when I got mine, but I never used it on the strom so I don't think I missing anything. And just like kazza said I also have a race stand out in the shop for when I need the back tire off the ground.

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the naked fz6, it didn't came with a centerstand. So I bought one and installed it!
It's very convenient when it comes to minor maintenance, I will never remove it, I love it :D
It was a PITA to lube the chain and clean the bike...
It may weight much, but it's worth it IMO.

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
i took mine off not long after i got it, it is usefull for changing the back tire but looks alot better without it. and you can always buy a cheap wheel stand if you nd to get your tire off.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
My fz has the stand. My other bike came with a stand too. I left it on for years and this last spring, took it off. I did not notice a bit of change. I doubt the fz stand weights 5-6 pounds since my other stand from and old bike did not weigh that much.
Also, how do you change the tire if you get a flat on the road? I guess you can wait for a truck to come or you can pop up on the stand, plug your tire and go so you can at least make it home.

As the weight is about as low on the bike as you can get, it makes even less of a difference. On the street, the weight loss would not even be noticeable in anything other than a placebo effect.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the main reason to remove it is because it's the first hard part to drag. I kept mine until I took the FZ to the track and removed it after the tech inspection guy looked at me funny :) Haven't really missed it since. When I need to lift the rear wheel, I just grab the stand and mount it in 30 seconds. I might miss it on the road someday, but it hasn't happened yet.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, how do you change the tire if you get a flat on the road? I guess you can wait for a truck to come or you can pop up on the stand, plug your tire and go so you can at least make it home.

Well I can't speak for the fz but I have had to change a tire on the side of the road, to make a long story short I have a cut off crutch that I put on the opposite side of the kickstand wich holds the rear up

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the way I always look at stuff like that. If I take that off it'll make it 5 pounds lighter? Then I look at my belly and realize "I know where I can lose a ton of weight off my bike!!" Also I feel unless you're racing your bike against other people competitively, it's not worth it at all. I don't know how many times I've been at autocross competitions listening to this guy with a huge beer gut saying "I drain my fluids to the BARE minimum to save weight" and I'm like that is NOT where you should be cutting pounds off your car, sir. :)
Yeah, on my FJR (and soon to have FZ6?) I use the center stand more than the kick stand and wouldn't own a bike without one. But that's just me. :confused:
Oh, and 5 (Or 10) lbs under the bike isn't gonna make any difference in performance; it's well below the C of G. ;)
And by the way OP, how do you lube yer chain?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, on my FJR (and soon to have FZ6?) I use the center stand more than the kick stand and wouldn't own a bike without one. But that's just me. :confused:
Oh, and 5 (Or 10) lbs under the bike isn't gonna make any difference in performance; it's well below the C of G. ;)
And by the way OP, how do you lube yer chain?

It's not easy to lube the chain with only a side stand, but not impossible.

Tilt the bike onto the side stand so the rear wheel lifts off the ground. You need a bit of strength but it's not impossible.

A centre stand or a rear stand makes it a whole lot easier..... :D

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a nifty little roller gozmo that I roll the bike onto and I can lube the chain in 2-3 minutes section at a time. been doing that for a while.
Centre stand would make it easier but as kazza says the nakeds in Aus dont come with one