anybody know New Orleans?

karmageddon14

only you can stop winter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey
haven't posted in a long time since i'm in denial about winter....anyways me and few guys from work are heading down to Baton Rouge (red rod - gotta love the name) for a week of confined space and rope rescue training. but we planned the weekend before to be in New Orleans Feb 6-8.

so any suggestions for food and entertainment?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just head down to the French Quarter and you'll have a blast! :thumbup:

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
hey
haven't posted in a long time since i'm in denial about winter....anyways me and few guys from work are heading down to Baton Rouge (red rod - gotta love the name) for a week of confined space and rope rescue training. but we planned the weekend before to be in New Orleans Feb 6-8.

so any suggestions for food and entertainment?

Be careful ,I was there 2 weeks ago and a 39 year old female bartender was robbed and shot to death while walking to her French quarter apartment by 3 black males they were two 15 year olds and a 14 year old kids. I lived in N.O. in 1995-1998 there were over 450 murders a year! this **** happens all the time there 95% of the crime is by young black males.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful ,I was there 2 weeks ago and a 39 year old female bartender was robbed and shot to death while walking to her French quarter apartment by 3 black males they were two 15 year olds and a 14 year old kids. I lived in N.O. in 1995-1998 there were over 450 murders a year! this **** happens all the time there 95% of the crime is by young black males.

True. The violent crime rate is very, very high. Watch your six, look like you know what you are doing and you'll be fine.

I've "vacationed" there twice. The first time I was carrying my M16, M9 and was wearing Interceptor body armor. Only got shot at once. :D

The second time was last May, had a blast.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just head down to the French Quarter and you'll have a blast! :thumbup:

I'm with Pete on this one, the french quarter is the place to be :rockon:

I've been there twice with mrs Cloggy (both times long weekends) and once with a bunch of colleagues, I really enjoyed myself at Pat O'Briens, although most Americans seem bored with it when I talk to them (as it is a francise). There are a lot of great live music bars, mainly blues and jazz but also some more popular music as well.

I hope you go on a quiet weekend as the hotel prices can vary a lot depending on what's going on (the first time I went with the wife the saints had an important football game on, so we had to pay 3x the going rate :()

Hope you have a great time :thumbup:

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Pete stated, just watch your back and you should be okay. Carry your wallet in your front pocket, or wear it in a pouch around your neck under your shirt. Lots of pickpockets.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mrs. Hellgate spent her summers there as a child. She recommends:

1) The Quarter
2) Cafe de Monde
3) St. Louis Catherderal
4) Jean Lafaitte
5) Jackson Square, tourist info there too
6) Ghosts tours, begin at St. Pete
7) Paddle wheel boat tour lunch, and/or dinner and dancing
8) Ride the trolly through the Garden District
9) Eat, drink, eat, drink, eat, drink, eat, drink...whew....:thumbup:

Bourbon for bars, Royal for antiques.

Have fun!

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

1) The Quarter
2) Cafe de Monde
3) St. Louis Catherderal
4) Jean Lafaitte

Have fun!

thumbup: my recommendations also,plus I also recommend the vampire tour if you don't like ghosts.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah...... Stay away from the Hurricanes:D I vaguely remember walking about 6 blocks with my then girlfriend being carried over my right shoulder.:D
This was after drinking one . I just remember pretty colors and blurs and swirls and the two cool cops that flagged me a taxi. ( back in 98.):rockon:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING YOU DO NOT OPEN YOURSELF OR SEE OPENED,NO MIXED DRINKS AT ALL in a bar.the street vendors are ok for a huricane.......Back in 2001, I was drugged on Burbon st. at a strip club at about 2:30 in the afternoon by a waitress who suggested the 2 for one draft beer(my second beer of the day)and wanted to show me the private room upstairs.I politely declined her offer, and tried to make my way to the door with her tryin to stop me all the way and the bartender got in on tryin to stop me also, and got agressive with me, and I got VERY AGGRESSIVE with them; and they backed off.after I made it outside I started down the street for a new bar,and realized I was tore up like a wet paper towel in a box fan!!Luckily my alchoholic lifestyle had built up my imunity too toxins and I made it back to my car and drove out of the city with one eye closed too see straight.I drove about 100 miles before I sobered up enough to realize I had no idea where I was going!!! If you keep this in mind.you will have a Blast!!! (TRUST NO ONE)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope that was a joke ............or why would a soldier get shot at on "home turf" ?

No joke. During Katrina at about 3:00 am my company was sleeping in a giant tent on the tennis courts next to Children Hospital and some idiot decided to take pot shots at us from the river berm about 500m away. 5 shots or so.

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
I lived down there for about three years. I won't ever go back. I never felt comfortable in NO. One unit I was stationed at was in a dry dock down there. We were not allowed to to go into NO with less than groups of three.

karmageddon14

only you can stop winter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
we actually did about 6 things out of 9 on your list. what a blast we had. It's like nothing I've ever experienced before. we squeezed in a swamp boat tour and a plantation tour (Oak Alley) too.

It was awesome. thanks for your help.

1) The Quarter
2) Cafe de Monde
3) St. Louis Catherderal
4) Jean Lafaitte

Have fun!

karmageddon14

only you can stop winter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
True. The violent crime rate is very, very high. Watch your six, look like you know what you are doing and you'll be fine.

I've "vacationed" there twice. The first time I was carrying my M16, M9 and was wearing Interceptor body armor. Only got shot at once. :D

The second time was last May, had a blast.

we just stayed in the Quarter and things were fine. the only injury done was to my liver.

:beer:

had a near miss with a New Orleans cop but that's another story...

:D

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started down the street for a new bar,and realized I was tore up like a wet paper towel in a box fan!!Luckily my alchoholic lifestyle had built up my imunity too toxins and I made it back to my car and drove out of the city with one eye closed too see straight.I drove about 100 miles before I sobered up enough to realize I had no idea where I was going!!!

so you realized you were tore up like a "wet paper towel" yet still drove? and then you drove for 100 miles before you sobered up? and realized you didnt know where you were going? :ban: