Any one here worked and lived in Saudi?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am seriously considering going to Saudi Arabia to work on a 2-5 year contract.
Any advice or input would be appreciated. The money is good and tax free. Paid in Sterling. I would be living within the realms of a compound. The aim of going would be to build up a financial cushion in order to be mortgage free and start saving for children's further education. The recession here in Ireland is hitting us hard financially and although we are lucky to be debt free we are treading water.
I have lost €2300 per month salary in cuts.
My main concerns are:

Leaving the wife and family behind?

Political stability and safety?

Fitting in with the culture?

Financially is the sacrifice really worth it?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not been Nelly but to me, missing out on 2 years with the wife and kids - you'll never get that time back and you will miss out on sooo much.
There's a huge mining industry in Western Australia. Mike and I have talked about 1 of us doing FLY IN FLY OUT. But I think even working like this, where it could be 3 weeks on (21 consecutive 12 hour days) and 1 week off minimum. It would be tough and eventually a strain on the relationship, and we don't have children.
Sometimes money just doesn't matter that much.

Just my opinion Neil

:)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW Nelly, thought of somewhere else, such as Australia?

You would easily be able to come here as we have a skills shortage. Your profession - medical positions needed urgently. Great schools for the kids. Sunshine. Riding all year round and snow only in the snowfields, where it belongs.

Just a thought.

My parents left the UK for a better life/education for me and moved to New Zealand. Now in Australia as the life here is better again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com

No. You'll miss way to much time with your family. There is no amount of money that will ever get that back, and there can be too many regrets afterward that you'll not be able to do anything about. If you could take your family, then maybe, but if you're going alone I'd say no way.

Just my opinion, I know I couldn't leave my wife and son, not for a month let alone a few years.

netbug

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently I am doing fly in and fly out in one of the mines in Western Australia. I am on a 2 weeks on 1 week off roster. It is a pretty good roster.
However this kind of lifestyle is not for everyone, it works for some but for most people it is a strain in their family or social life.

For me it works quite well since I am a service engineer, if I work in one of our office then I will be sent out everywhere without knowing when I will go next.
Fly in fly out provide me with a stable roster, and believe or not I am at home more than if I work in one of our office.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my dad works in riyadh and is always in and out of the country going to different countries

I am seriously considering going to Saudi Arabia to work on a 2-5 year contract.
Any advice or input would be appreciated. The money is good and tax free. Paid in Sterling. I would be living within the realms of a compound. The aim of going would be to build up a financial cushion in order to be mortgage free and start saving for children's further education. The recession here in Ireland is hitting us hard financially and although we are lucky to be debt free we are treading water.
I have lost €2300 per month salary in cuts.
My main concerns are:

Leaving the wife and family behind?
leaving for 2-5 yrs straight is a lot...i see my dad at least 3 times a month..idk i think it would be kinda hard on ur family
Political stability and safety?
From what my dad tells me its a nice place and goes to the markets over there frequently.. he says everyones nice at the market, everythings inexpensive, but he mostly stays w/ his co workers in a gated community. as for safety its just like anywhere else he said. one thing that stuck out for me is that he told me men raping other men is common there!:eek:...tip from my dad's friend: if you have a beard and mustache grow it out people wont mess w/ u and if dont have one dont approach anyone in a car trying to ask u a question, they'll snatch u up and bring u to the desert (the rest u can use ur imagination).. another thing he mentioned is that he said men are kinda sexist and treat women badly so do the police...im not trying to discriminate just telling you what i heard:ban:
the language is very different...u'll catch on to some words but still kinda hard. my dad's filipino and he said theres a lot of filipinos in riyahd so kinda fit right in
thats decision is up to u my friend...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have to put in two years to get ahead or out of the hole and put you and your family in a good financial position, I would do it.

No different than a service member putting in two tours. Yes, you will be miserable at first, but I think the sacrifice will be worth it. Is there anyway you can put in 6 months on and one month off?

Go for it!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW Nelly, thought of somewhere else, such as Australia?

You would easily be able to come here as we have a skills shortage. Your profession - medical positions needed urgently. Great schools for the kids. Sunshine. Riding all year round and snow only in the snowfields, where it belongs.

Just a thought.

Im gunna go with Kazza on this one Nelly :thumbup:

I spent 11 years running interstate in the truck , getting home for maybe 1 day every 3 - 4 weeks & it sucks :( Nearly lost Kel & missed the kids growing up & thats time you'll NEVER get back !!!

We are in desperate need of medical staff here mate , Kel is on call all weekend & has been in 3 times today already.. Minimum 3 hours call in & $52/hr every time :rockon:

Just a little food for thought mate ;)

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response guys,
As much as moving to Australia appeals to me there is no way Avril would consider leaving Ireland. Thats why I was thinking of a short term contract.

Nelly

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site

Are you a Muslim? If so then you will not have any problem and don't read further, but if not...Have you heard about Sharia law? It seems to me that this country is the only one which lives under this law. Take a look Sharia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are an infidel for them. It is very difficult for a guy from Europe to understand completely what is right and what is wrong. So, it is very easy to break the law and to be punished. This country even has the so-called "religious police". Famous restrictions are : no alcohol at all, women can't drive and no kissing on public. As someone mentioned above "it is a very good place, but he lived in a gated community all the time". I would say that this is a priceless advice. From my point of view, North Korea is safer country. If I were you I would never go there.

On the other hand I understand your reason, that's why any decision will be correct.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would you work in a Western compound, or in Saudi itself? Usually Westerners are not in a common area with the Saudis. If you're in a Western area it maybe an okay gig.

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
A Western compound looks like a golden cage. I would live there a few months, but then I will go out just to look at what is going on in the external world:spank: Who knows what would happen next. However, if you have enough patience then Islamic world is not an issue for you.

Anyway, getting back to your dilemma. Every decision has its own pros and cons. This one is not an exception. It is very attractive to save enough money for education for 2 years. However, you can loose more. I mean your family, 2 years is a too big term, everything can happen. In the first place I am talking about you. New environment, new friends, new people and so on. Maybe you will stay there, who knows;)

On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained:D

The only thing I know for sure. I would not move without my family and especially without my daughter. I am too weak:thumbup: