Anti reflective Coating (naughty but nice in theory)

Who would use anti reflective coating

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those painted Gatso's aren't new in Holland, we had one a few miles down the road from here, painted as a plant, until it got destroyed. I remember Top Gear saying they got the Idea about construction foam from the Dutch.
I must admit although I am thoroughly against mindless speed camera's (just to rake in the funds) this one was at an accident blackspot and painted bright colours with the intention of catching your attention before you got flashed. I found it a shame that it was destroyed and hasn't been replaced yet.

Unfortunately the Dutch also have speed camera's that detect your speed between 2 points on the highway, luckily everyone knows where they are and there are notice boards warning you about this before hand.

I once saw a radar detector wired up to a flip down number plate on a BMW Car once, it was pretty cool, like something out of James bond. The clever part about it was that the BMW ran partly on Gas and had the fill cap behind the number plate, so if the cops stopped him he would say oops, its come loose sorry.

I know that in some states it's legal to use a radar detector in the US, has anyone any experience in using these on a bike?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys and gals,

I have seen loads of adverts in the press an on the internet depicting products that allegedly render the licence plate illegible by flash camera. Has any one used such a product or know of such a method (other than a liberal coating of cow S**t that actually works .:Sport:
If there were such a product that would work how many would use it?

Niel I've seen that stuff before but it pretty much renders the licence plate illegible. Now I don't know what the UK law is like on this aspect but if caught with this stuff on your number plate(s) in Holland you'll be charged for obstructing the law.
A common trick is to hang some kind of lock over your number plate and say "oh dear it must have shifted while riding" normally you get only a warning from the cops and it prevents photo's being taken from the number plate. Disadvantage is it could damage or scratch the paint work or number plate.
I've seen plenty of other gizmo's (for example reflecting discs on the number plates screws, and number plates you can read from behind but not from higher up) but these are all technically illegal in Holland.
I think the cow **** trick is probably still the best one.

By the way the reason I know all these tricks is not that I associate with highly illegal people but when I first moved to Holland I repaired Radar detectors (which was at that time legal in Holland, not any more).