Another good product for cleaning headers

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
HAs anyone hearrd of Bar Keepers friend? This stuff works miracles. Cleans any hard non porous surface, unless varnished. Using it at work for a good 6 months now it just clicked in my head today to try it on the headers. So with #0000 steel wool and a couple hours my headers are now nice and shiny :) Sry about the quality of my pic. All i had on me was my cell

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They look great from what I can tell!

I use BKF on my all-clad pans and my kegerator steel top with great results. I used it once a year or so ago on the headers with #0000 steel wool without great results. It seemed to leave scratches.

I can't tell from your picture, are your headers mirror smooth? Maybe I didn't polish for long enough. What was the consistency of BKF? I used the powder and just enough water to make a paste.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
They look great from what I can tell!

I use BKF on my all-clad pans and my kegerator steel top with great results. I used it once a year or so ago on the headers with #0000 steel wool without great results. It seemed to leave scratches.

I can't tell from your picture, are your headers mirror smooth? Maybe I didn't polish for long enough. What was the consistency of BKF? I used the powder and just enough water to make a paste.

I used the liquid and its consistancy can be compared to whole milk i guess. I do have some scratches but i used #000 steel wool with a different product last year so its most likely from that. But they are quite shiny.

Ive also used BKF on brass railings with just a sponge and they look better then when i used brass polish. Also on stove tops stainless steel sinks, toaster, toster oven, glass, tile. etc. The active ingrediant is oxalic acid, which seems to be oxidations worst enemy. even made a 1943 penny like new.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks I used the same stuff for polishing pots and pans, Gumption and a scourer, took about 5 minutes per pipe, not perfect but the pic shows what a little elbow grease will do.
what I really want to know is once they have a really nice clean look how can I keep them like that

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i found that a 35 cent scotch brite pad, some soap and about 10 minutes makes mine look good.

scotch+brite+pad.jpg

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks I used the same stuff for polishing pots and pans, Gumption and a scourer, took about 5 minutes per pipe, not perfect but the pic shows what a little elbow grease will do.
what I really want to know is once they have a really nice clean look how can I keep them like that

Thats great! My mum loves Gumption. Swears by it, to it and around it.
So much so I use it now.

Urgh - Just relaised I moving into dish washing territory...:ban:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site

Mine stayed spotless for about 2 weeks in good weather and then picked up gunk when it rained. :(