Another chain bites the Dust

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So I went to clean and lube my chain today and noticed 2 links that are really stiff. I do lube and clean my chain often 6-800 miles. But I am not really that surprised because I have about 27,000 miles on the OEM chain.

So I'm going to be buying a new chain but have a couple questions first. The OEM chain is a rivet chain without a master link. I think I have heard bad things about aftermarket chains and their weak master links. Is this true? Since I am happy with how long the stock chain lasted, I think I will go with a Yamaha one. So if I go to Yamaha will I get a chain that is fully connected and riveted? If so, I know this mean I remove the swing arm. What brand is the OEM chain?

Thanks guys for all your help.

Jeremy

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
The chain won't be one continuous length, you will need a chain riveting tool to set the master link. The tool is needed to take the old chain apart although it can be done with out it.
Something like this--
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Chain-Riveting-Tool/dp/B001DDD6AY]Amazon.com: Motion Pro Chain Riveting Tool Kit - --/--: Automotive[/ame]

If your close enough to San Bernardino I have a chain tool and would be happy to give you a hand changing out your chain.

Jerry

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used the Motion Pro chain tool with a buddy and it works! We replaced the chain and both sprockets last year on his Honda Shadow 750.

The tool helped remove the old chain and assisted in installing the rivet in the master link for the new chain.

Make sure your new chain comes with a rivet type master link instead of a clip. The rivet is a much more secure method of holding a chain together.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
better chains have higher tensile strength. thats a good thing. i went aftermarket and upgraded. why stick with a chain OEM decided on based on cost analysis?

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So it sounds like there is no need to go with an OEM chain but rather to get a rivet type rather than a clip. So in that case, does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone here tried an X-Ring? I hear they last longer, but do they last long enough to make them worth the extra money? Thanks guys.

Jeremy

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Jblk9695 I might just take you up on that. I am out in that area fairly often because I have family and friends out there. I'll do a bit more research and then let you know when I am planning on getting the chain and then see if there is a time that we can work on it. THANKS for the offer!!!

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ozfazer6, I see you used the a X-ring chain. Do you think it is worth the extra money? Also who makes the tool you used to take the rivet out and crimp it on the new chain.