Angeles Crest Highway, So CA :)

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to let those of us know here in Southern California who know what and where Angeles Crest Highway is and what a great ride it really is that I called the Forestry Service and found out that the highway (2) will be opened up through to Wrightwood this coming October (next month). They are just finishing up with the bridge they built that was washed away with the storm about three years ago. The lady I spoke to told me because of CA's budjet crisis, it took this long to complete this project.......:rockon:

SO.......when it opens, us So. CA riders should get together to do a group ride! What do you all think?:D

J

jsteinb95

awesome....I'll let sportrider know (just in case he missed this thread)!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Cali Rider and I stopped at a restaurant in Wrightwood a few weeks ago and the owner told us they would finish the bridge this year still... he thought it would open up next year only though, since they'll probably keep it closed over the winter.

The restaurant was awesome BTW... the name is Grizzly Cafe, and the owner is Leo Hordyk. Address is 1455 St. Hwy 2 in Wrightwood.

I am going to stay off ACH for a while though, since there`s a cop hiding behind a bush on every other corner... :(

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
I was through there just last weekend about 5 pm and didn't see one cop! maybe because it was late in the day and not prime time riding. But looking forward to it opening up. If your careful and lawful, ACH would be a fun group ride in my opinion. Hoping to see your awesome bike. I like the pics

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Don`t take me wrong, I love ACH... amazing road, amazing views, amazing everything! Except the ticket I got 2 weeks ago on it....... :spank: it was the wkd though, and we knew they were up there... so it's our own damn fault! :D

S

sportrider

some of us are meeting up tomorrow to ride Big Bear. you should come! :thumbup:

as far as ACH goes, I want to ride it once it cools off some (police, not weather)

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Where else do you ride? I've been riding since last April and have yet to ride with anyone or in a group ride.

You're in Burbank...You're close to me. I ride up in Malibu a lot. You could take 101 north and cut up Topanga or Kanan or Malibu Canyon and head up to Mulholland and go to the Rock Store!!!

In fact, I'll be at the Rock Store tomorrow AM!!!

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Where else do you ride? I've been riding since last April and have yet to ride with anyone or in a group ride.

Same here, I have been riding longer but I've never ridden with a group. I've wanted to go on a group ride with you guys but my schedule is a little weird, and I have a 1 year old as well. Hopefully I can hook up with you guys on the next one :thumbup:

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds great, have to rearrange, if possible, a meeting that I have in the morning with someone. What time are you heading up there?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
The contractor that is building the bridge is under contract to finish on or before Oct. 14, with $$$ penalties for missing that date. However, the actual pavement east of Vincent Gap is in poor condition so it may take longer to open the road. The most current status will be here:Project summary
and here:Road conditions

I am keeping my eye on a source of inside info and it concurs with a mid-October 08 opening. Once the first snow comes they WILL close the road until spring snow melt, as they always have in the past.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
This is from a group I'm part of...you can check it out here! SoCal SportBikers
I'll be there on my FZ representin' the forum!!! There's going to be a lot of riders broken into smaller groups and thus the pace will be slower, but if you want to ride with people after Neptune's I'm sure they kick it up a notch lol

17299 Pacific Coast Hwy
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272

How to find us
"Red & Black Ducati Monster; Red Helmet"

10:00a

This is our monthly Welcome Ride

Our way of saying hello and welcome!

If you've been thinking about joining us, this ride is for you! It will be a very chill ride. Come on out, meet the organizer and some of the assistant organizers, hang out.

The route is purposely mellow and easy to accommodate riders of all skill levels. The focus here is to socialize and get to know one another.

It will be a chill ride up PCH to Kanan Dume; Right onto Sierra Creek Road; Right onto Mulholland Hwy; with a quick stop off at the legendary Rock Store.

Rock Store, 30354 Mulholland Hwy, Cornell, 91301

We'll rest and rehydrate.

Heading back to Kanan Dume; West on Encinal; down to PCH; North on PCH to Neptune's Net.

Neptune's Net - 42505 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, 90265

At Neptune's we'll rest, hang out and eat.

See you there! ~Charlie

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks Cali Rider, You provided more info than the lady at the forestry service provided, great info..

And MarinaFazer, does it matter what bike anyone has? I happen to have the R6 because back in june my fz was totalled and with the insurance money I went out and bought an 04 R6:rolleyes:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Hey thanks Cali Rider, You provided more info than the lady at the forestry service provided, great info..

And MarinaFazer, does it matter what bike anyone has? I happen to have the R6 because back in june my fz was totalled and with the insurance money I went out and bought an 04 R6:rolleyes:

There are all kinds of bikes...the "meetup.com" group is for all sportbikes...but I like to invite this forum so I have FZs to ride with! Everything from Honda - Yamaha - Aprilia - Ducati - etc...

click the link and join the group...there are rides all the time, plus my soon to be famous Thursday Night Ride Night lol

aceman1741

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks for the invite, Big Bear is alittle too far away for me right now on short notice but Malibu run sounds possible. I'll have to see m arrangement for tommorrow. Cool, would be nice to ride with others...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are all kinds of bikes...the \"meetup.com\" group is for all sportbikes...but I like to invite this forum so I have FZs to ride with! Everything from Honda - Yamaha - Aprilia - Ducati - etc...

click the link and join the group...there are rides all the time, plus my soon to be famous Thursday Night Ride Night lol

Nice thing about our Forum group rides, most of us have ridden together at least once, and for some members even more, so as far as safety, it's better. We know the signals, and tendencies on how others ride. I've seen a lot of posts, pics, threads regarding group rides turning into group debacles. It's nice to have the opportunity to discuss how the ride went on the forum, good or bad.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is a lil bit off topic, but there is a job opening in Palm Dale that I would like to persue, but I live next to the 605 and the 10. The shortest way there for me is to take the 210 and go through ACH. The commute would be 70 miles one way. This would give me a great opportunity to really know ACH, but I want to know if the road is always open?